Thursday, January 27, 2005

"Dark Days of Echelon"

Well I figured the months after the holiday season would be telling one for the future of the Echelon mall.

Well I have been there a few times since the holiday season past, and you could hear a pin drop. The one day the building was almost totally void of any customer traffic. All I saw was vast emptiness and could hear my foot steeps echo across the empty shopping mall.


THere hasn't been a post holiday mass exit. However, rumors are still floating around that the Cinnabun is leaving and one of those girlie stores I never went into has closed its doors. The only new store in the mall by my estimate in the last 2 years was the Mens Mart. Some nice stuff, but I always feel like the workers (and I assume owners) that stand around in there are always really nice to me. However, I just feel like if I don't buy something there the entire family will be out on the streets.

The only changes that PREIT seems to have done in order to get readying for the awakening at this point is the different displays they put up in their dozens of empty store fronts telling you to go to the foodcourt where there are still some stores. An entire wing of the malls only purpose at this point is to let old people walk around. Or local blog writers to investigate for any new developments.

So, if you go to mall enjoy your time in you store of choice, because it might be your last trip there. Also stop by the dollar store, because they play Russian music really loud. Its very absurd to have pop Russian music play there all the time and good for a laugh. Also there seem to be lots of kids that work there even during hours when you would think they would be in school or something.

Wish PREIT would just get their butts in gear sometime before 2020.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

I know Keith, I hate that the mall is a vast wasteland. Not to be anal or anything but the companies name is PREIT not PERIT. Please make a note of it.

keith said...

I wouldn't say I hate the mall. Its just very hard to support at this point. I mean you really can get much done shopping there anymore. No CDs? I mean you always end up going to Target afterwards anyway.

I really thought things were going to change there. It keeps getting worse. The only bump in traffic I see that place getting anytime soon is from H&R Block and Liberty Taxes, because its tax season.

Thats pretty sad if you have to rely those businesses to draw people into the mall, and hope they shop while they are there. Not to mention there is almost nothing anywhere near H&R Block, and any traffic brought in would be simply for a few months.

Againt there is no reason why PREIT can't fix things up like the sign that is falling apart and doesn't light up. At least make it look like you are trying!

Jenna said...

I agree, it makes me mad that I can't shop at the GAP, or get a lot of things that were convenient when the mall was in it's prime. I wouldn't buy CDs at Sam Goody or the Wall though, they are too expensive. Target has good prices if you can find what you want, but Best Buy seems to be the best bet.

I really only go there if Jay wants to go to BC Sports, or NY & Company. Strawbrigdes isn't what it used to be anymore and Boscov's sucks pretty bad. They need to do something soon.

Anonymous said...

Malls in South Jersey suck compared to what we have up here. As per the Echelon Mall, I think it is just a matter of population density. You have Deptford, Echelon, and Cherry Hill all competing for pretty much the same people. In North Jersey, that wouldn't be so bad. We have more people and more wealth. Considering the lower number of people and less wealth, an area of that size can't support three malls. I know you would all have to travel further, but the malls and the shoppers would be much better off if Echelon closed.

Brant

Anonymous said...

Echelon Mall has a secretary from the last mall now working as the marketing manager. Perhaps this is why this mall gets an F. Walmart coming to Echelon mall is a joke and shows how desperate these people are. Walmart goes anywhere. I'd be embarrassed. They are getting what they deserve.

keith said...

Who works at the mall now? I have an update soon on this regarding the Wal-mart. Come back later today or tomorrow to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Lori Brotherton is the secretary gone marketing manager who is responsible for this bullshit marketing. She was the marketing manager of the Cumberland Mall.

Preit should have fired ALL past employees from the rouse company and start fresh. Bringing back the dead weight is the reson this mall is failing in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Lori Brotherton is the secretary gone marketing manager who is responsible for this bullshit marketing. She was the marketing manager of the Cumberland Mall.

Preit should have fired ALL past employees from the rouse company and start fresh. Bringing back the dead weight is the reson this mall is failing in the first place.