Thursday, December 14, 2006

"Peter Boyle, dead at 71"


Sad news, I am sure you all know by now but Philly born actor Peter Boyle passed away on Tuesday as result of heart disease.

Boyle, best known for playing Raymond's father on the long running hit sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond" also has a long history of films. I first became aware of him as many people my age did, watching Young Frankenstein on Cable, although as an Adult I don't find the movie all that funny, I loved it when I was a kid.

Boyle also starred in the political movie The Candidate, and"The other Hunter S. Thompson movie" Where the Buffalo Roam. In addition to those he played in many more well known films such as Taxi Driver, Johnny Dangerously, Malcolm X, Monster's Ball and the Santa Clause trilogy.

One of his best roles for me however, was his guest appearance on "The X-files" as a troubled fourtune teller. He actually won and Emmy for that role, and if I ever made a list, that would be in my top ten best X-files of all time.

What I thought was rather classy, (I didn't see it) but I am told Ray came on during reruns of the syndicated sitcom and said a few kind words, as did some other cast members. I can't think of a time anyone ever did that for a show that had ended its run. Pretty nice.

Boyle was 71. Fans can get once last chance to see Peter in next year's Shadows of Atticus due out next spring.

No comments: