Sunday, May 23, 2004

"The Day After"

With his amazing play Keith Primeau made almost everyone forget his disgraceful display of turning Flyers legend Bill(y) Barber. into an enormous scapegoat after being embarrassed and ousted prematurely from the playoffs a few years ago. Despite the fact the Flyers couldn’t score a goal to save their life that year he blamed the entire break down on the coach who had lost his wife to cancer a few months prior. He along mainly with Brian Boucher slammed to coach who had been named coach of the year in the previous season by the league. They painted him into an utter incompetent moron who doesn’t listen to his players. Despite the team playing some of the worse hockey I have ever whitnessed in my life blame was a assigned to the coach and Barber’s not only lost his job, but had his coaching career ruined. Well maybe the hockey gods didn’t forget all this.

Bill Barbera who ironically has a position at the Tampa Bay Lightening who just sent the Flyers home for the summer could easily be wearing another cup ring on his finger in a mere two weeks. Something Primeau will NEVER have his entire career, and according to him will haunt him for a long time. Given the age of all the Flyers key players baring a trade a long time will be a life time for Prims.

Now don’t get me wrong it was a great ride and the captain did clearly everything he could to bring this team to glory. In fact I think he matured and realized how idiotic his remarks were. In fact some Flyers fans believe he was being used as a puppet by GM Bob Clarke who wanted to deflect the blame after failing to put together a cup team yet again. Not to mention the fact that Clarke always had animosity and jealously towards Barbara from what older fans tell me. Kind of like Clarke went to someone and made a move on the former coach.

Now this Flyers team I can’t get REALLY mad at. Not like the past 4 years or so. They tried harder than any Flyers team I have seen in a long time. Mainly because JR, Amonte, Zhamonv, and their captain all knew damn right well that this could very easily be their last shot at winning a cup. Younger players like Gagne had to know it might be his only shot too, look at all the older players in the NHL who still haven’t won it. What Keith (not me) did with this team was amazing. Amazing enough to put him in a chapter of the legacy of the Flyers however not enough to immortalize him anytime soon. He really relished his role as a captain and will likely rank just under Dave Poulin who led the Flyers all the way to game 7 of the cup finals in 1987. Of course that was against the dreaded Edmonton Oilers of the 1980’s easily the best team of our life time.

This Flyers team will go down as one we snap our fingers and shake our heads about. Damn, so close. Yeah I am proud of the way they played. However their special teams particularly let them down. They let the Bolts score too many power play goals, and couldn’t score on the man advantages of their own. Hmm, maybe the Barbara had nothing do to with their inept power play!

It was hard to watch the look of defeat on the orange and black last night. All they went through made for a fun entertaining season full of perseverance and great back stories. Especially JR, who will likely announce his retirement once the finals (hopefully my sadness will subside and I can watch) are done. All together a really fun season, with an ending that didn’t really piss me off like the last two season, but generally broke my heart. To make matter worse the shape of the NHL currently could mean that Saturday night when the clock ticked down it was running down on the history of the Philadelphia Flyers too. The NHL is on the verge of an entire collapse, and if the lockout lasts more than a few months it the Flyers and the NHL will be history. I can’t even say there is always next year, because we could be down to 3 teams in the city after last night.

As for Smarty Jones, he doesn’t end the streak. Don’t get me wrong I have had fun watching the horse run the first to races, but didn’t even know who the hell he was till 3 days before the Derby. If he wins that’s great, but it won’t end the streak. I will still be void of the experience of winning a sports championship. Not to mention the frigging horse is from BUCKS COUNTY not Philly. So that would be like counting the Rivershark’s as Philly’s own. It is just complete desperation and plain pathetic to claim this horse in the name of Philly sports teams.

So the ice melts in South Philly, and I have no idea when it will return. Regardless the team will be a year older next year if they do play and likely farther away from the ultimate prize. So take your seat with all the other stories off just falling short 2003-04 Flyers and enjoy you a lifetime of wondering what could have been till you win the Cup with another team or in the grave. Sit with the 1993 Phillies, and all the other close but no cigar clubs. Hell we could write a book or two.

I know this sounds really negative about a hard working team that got through a lot, but let’s face it even if you are proud of this team they aren’t champions. They aren't winners, and despite getting a round farther than last year, with all the money spend any players brought in this season was another failure. On top of that team likely lost money this season.


It was a great ride, but familiar one. With us watching someone's else team soak up the glory of being winners.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Keith H, Keith P couldn't make his Flyers wet dream come true. "Oh, put it in just once more! I need it so bad. Stop teasing me!!" Just join the die-hard Eagles fans in thier mantra, "Just wait till next year!" Hmm, no next year? Well that could be a double whammy, though my spider sense tells me that hockey will go on in one way or another. My buddy, the perenial doubting Thomas when it comes to Philly sports teams was almost giddy when he gave me the news. (that bastard) But, life goes on, maybe the Flyers can parley their skills into golf, like Adam Sandler did when he got beat up by Bob Barker.
Tom T

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

From Ed Greene
This is better than last year. I remember the hate email that I got in the middle of the night. Those drunken ramblings scared me into going downstairs and making sure my doors and windows were locked. Your right about them not being champions, but it was a long shot to begin with and Tampa is a good team. To tell you the truth I was surprised that they got as far as they did. Unlike the Eagles who NEVER should have made it to the playoffs. You want to talk about old and without talent. Anyway next year will be exciting. I was thinking about bringing a sat dish to the big sandbox so that I can watch next season.
next year .

keith said...

No idea why Jason's post said it was deleted. Either that was a joke about him not being able to keep it clean about the Flyers, or something went hay-wire.

I didnt delete that comment

Jason said...

It got deleted because I was a moron and clicked on the little trash can not knowing what it did. I was basically ripping you for not knowing that the guy's name is Billy BARBER. I am lame.

Unknown said...

Seriously, Keith. Of all people, a big-time Flyers fan like you should be able to get Bill Barber right. Especially when his damn Echelon Ford commercials are still on Comcast six times a day.

keith said...

eh, spell check changed them all for me I forgot to go back and change it afterwards.

keith said...

Of course that is no excuse. I am sorry guys.

I am actually going to his car place this weekend hopefully looks like the Tempo might be hanging up the old tires soon.

keith said...

I fixed it thanks to the magic of blogpsot I really did know his name. Trust me if I know who Norm Lacombe and Claude Boivin are I knew it was it was Barber and wasnt barbara.

I am lamer than you Jay.