Friday, March 14, 2003

"Thats Amonte!"

When the fans all get pumped up, when the goal actually lights up…that’s AMONTEEEEEEEEEE…when tears falls from the other goalies eye like a Nuccio’s pizza pie ..that’s AMONTEEEEEEEEEEE.

The sports side of the Philly Daily News hitting newsstands today shows new comer Tony Amonte dressed in the new flyers jersey and waving to the fans. His tongue is out in KISS like fashion and in the last few days the players have been all doing something I haven’t seen a Flyers team in a long time. Actually smiling. Signs of life!

I predicted Amonte would net two goals he didn’t prove me right but notched an important goal and assisted on another. Looking at the highlights last night at Harpers I felt like I was watching another team. The goals were a result of inspired play and excellent puck movement. The goals were cleanly beating the goalie. Amonte still harbors the potential to score the big goals the Flyers are always in the need of. Even though former Flyers St. Jaques managed to stick it to us, it didn’t spoil the night.

Not only did Amonte return to the lineup but cheapskate John Leclair returned to the line up after sitting out for what seemed like years. Amonte, Leclair and JR reunited as the American express line on the power play. Maybe Amonte will be the sparkplug the Flyers needed to get their power play out of the basement.

In a somewhat related noted I bumped into a Sterling Alumni (I really don’t know him, but Tom was with me and he knew him from his class) and talked some Flyers with him. Apparently, he met now former Flyers Bruno St. Jaques and Guilliame Lefebvre at Top Dog and scored Lefbvre’s cell phone number (stud of the Winter?) He told me that Lefebvre actually pronounces his name like Lafleur don’t ask me how. He also said the Lindros/Brindy scandal was true. Even the Tocchet part but it wasn’t at a Cherry Hill bar it was in the locker room. Apparently Toc beat the crap out of him and the whole Lesard (former Phantom) running into the Big E was just SPIN from the Flyers.

Anyway I don’t want to get all excited by a win over a team that threw in the towel in January but its what the doctor ordered for the pending post season. It was a nice fun game for them before they start the hell that is the journey to the Cup.


“Sweet Child of NOT Mine”


One of my customers seemingly young at heart Philly native my age tries to understand about the new appliance that she is purchasing, but she can’t simply because her out of control child is screaming at the top of his lungs. Her kid keeps running all around the store and screaming for no reason. When he actually stops, it is to open doors of appliances and slamming the doors.

Her friend turns to me and tells me she hates kids and is glad she doesn’t have any. I agreed with her, and was glad to find one more person who shared my lack of desire to have an offspring. Luckily, I have managed to fine perhaps the only girl in South Jersey who has nightmares not dreams about changing diapers and losing sleep for a wailing infant.

Another kid in the store has corn smeared all over her face leaving globs of it everywhere she goes. I guess most people would think it was cute, but I simply thought it was repulsive. It made me sick to my stomach. Kid after bratty kid comes in the store making it an ideal place for a high school field trip for horny high schoolers to either scare them off sex for life or hammer home the importance of safe sex.

I am an Uncle and the best thing about that role is you don’t have to live with the child. Now don’t get me wrong and all my nephew is a cool kid, but he is currently going through the terrible 2s. This consists of yelling as loud as you possibly can non-stop and knocking everything over that you can find. I’m told that the terrible 2s start when they start walking and actually last for several years in some cases. Also refusing to eat, go to bed or shut up are the norm. I can see the fatigue in my brother and his wife’s eyes as they try to settle down their son. One time I came home with a splitting headache and had to pop advil and hide out in my room.

I talked to a friend of mine about the potential of spreading my seed before I became corpse. My theory is maybe something drops down in your brain, like a chemical one day that says I want to have a kid! That would be AWEWSOME. May it just happens over night. Right now I just see kids as a ball and chain and a constant burden, especially on a young adult such as myself who has yet to land a job to support myself let alone a eating, breathing, poop machine.

Maybe not wanting a child ever is side of immaturity. If that is the case than I’m glad my road map to maturity is so confusing. I mean sure children bring happiness and joy into many parents’ lives, but I do not understand some people’s rush to start a household of their own. I used to work with a girl younger than me who had two kids already, making less than me. She didn’t have a problem with it either.

If I ever do make good money I’d like to be able to spend it on myself and do the things I always wanted to do. I am only 23. Every time I see a young couple dragging in bratty kids, or in many cases several bratty kids I just say thank GOD that’s not me. Id rather live with my parents until I am 30 instead of having their fate. Reading this might make you think that I am (or that Tucker Character) is a self-centered jerk. That’s not the case, I actually feel sorry for my brother when he just appears in the need of a quiet night alone with his wife. I wouldn’t even wish sleepless nights, poop diapers, constant care, life long money woes and personal commitment, and hours of BLUES CLUES on my worst enemy.

No comments: