Friday, May 23, 2003

“The New Sharkeys”


I go to Sharkey’s Bar mainly because its close to my house and cheap. Not to mention some of the best Wings around are dished up there. However one of the best reasons to go there is for the lack of annoying club and dance music. If I wanted that I would go to various hotspots in Philly or locally in Vallaries.

This is the only time I can tolerate this sort of music, because I accept it do the that fact its part of going out. Most guys that don’t like it accept simply because girls get up and shake their little thing. However Sharkey’s is different, because you just pump money in the music box (just don’t use quarters!) and you can listen to music and talk about it. You can actually hear one another talk over the music and carry some sort of conversation. I might be the only person to ever make the sweet sounds of Francis Albert echo through the bar.

If you wanted to approach a girl ( although its rare in this usually sausage heavy bar) they might actually hear what you are saying. Drew once approached a girl for a bet, and a chance to score a number. This rare example of aggressive heterosexuality from my friend likely wouldn’t have occurred at Vallaries.

However, now Sharkey’s has remodeled and added a dance floor. Yep the good old fashion sports bar has sold out. I guess its time for the percolator. The next time I walk into the bar on a weekend I doubt I will be hearing a song from Pearl Jam’s prime. I doubt I will be able to hear anything song that isn’t mind numbingly repeative. So long Glory Days, hello BUMP, BUMP, BUMP.

Next time I we are there to discuss what will become of the Philly Sports scene we will have to be shouting our lungs off most likely.

No comments: