Monday, November 29, 2004

"Writer/Director Combo"

Martin Scorsese and Leonardo Dicaprio are teaming up once again in the soon to be released The Aviator covering 20 years of the life of Howard Hughes (no relation). If you recall they worked together in Gangs of New York a few years back, and are now working again in the film The Departed. Has Marty found his new De Niro?

Well in honor of this I think it would be fun to list and talk about some of your favoriate teamings of writers/directors.

I got a few, but hopefully my readers will get the ball rolling and I will come back and put in my two cents.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you mean actor/director combos, or was that post a massive non-sequitur? Assuming the former, I'd have to go with Hitchcock and Cary Grant, if I had to pick a favorite, but there are lots of great ones.

Jenna said...

Thank you Drew, that was my question too. I have a sick fascination for Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movies.

keith said...

Yes, that is what I ment.

I would have to go for James Stewart and Hitch over Cary Grant and Hitch.

Anonymous said...

Here are some of my picks:

- Paul Thomas Anderson and Philip Seymour Hoffman (for my money, the most brilliant character actor working today). "Boogie Nights", "Magnolia" and "Punch Drunk Love".

- Totally agree with the Depp/Burton pairing. "Edward Scissorhands", "Ed Wood", "Sleepy Hollow". F'ing brilliant.

- Ivan Reitman and Bill Murray. "Meatballs", "Stripes", "Ghostbusters". Classic comedies all.

- Quentin Tarantino and Harvey Keitel. "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction". They need to get together again.

- Steven Soderburgh and George Clooney. "Out of Sight", "Ocean's Eleven".

- Robert Rodriguez and Antonio Banderas. "Desperado", "Spy Kids", "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". Not exactly high art, but a good pairing.

On the other side of the coin, I'm a little sick of seeing Luke and/or Owen Wilson in every single Wes Anderson film. [TL]