Monday, December 27, 2004

"Reggie White, dead at 43"

Well since none of my circle of blog brothers have mentioned it I guess I will.

Now I have never been an EAGLES hardcore fan. I just keep up on them, and my interest was at an all time high when Reggie White played for them. I always thought he was a cool athlete and was a class guy.

He was fun to watch and as I am sure everyone else is, am shocked that he is gone. Does anyone have an cool stories about Reggie? Or has heard confirmation on his cause of death? As of press time (11 20pm monday) it still isn't known. Although ACTION NEWS tells me they will tell me, but since its not likely to start till midnight I doubt I will hear it.

Sucks about Reggie. Seems Billy Joel was right, only the good die young.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He was a great player, no doubt, and a wonderful team leader on and off the field. He didn't exactly have the most progressive attitude in the world about gays, but I don't hold that against him. We can't all be on the cutting edge of socio-cultural evolution, after all. He was a class guy, and I've been gratified by the unconditional outpouring of love and support from players, coaches, and friends since this tragedy occurred.

Anonymous said...

I am another one who is not a big sports fan, so I really have but one significant memory related to Reggie White. Just before he officially announced his departure from the Eagles way back when there was a big rally in Love Park in Philly for fans to come and plead en masse for him to stay here. People got on the mic one by one and begged him to stay, some with tears in their eyes. It was pathetic.

As for Drew's comment ("He didn't exactly have the most progressive attitude in the world about gays, but I don't hold that against him. We can't all be on the cutting edge of socio-cultural evolution, after all."), I have to point out that tolerance of gays is by no means a "cutting edge" stance. The Stonewall riots, commonly seen as the turning point for gay rights in America, happened when White was but eight years old--thirty years before his speech which reflected his skewed and outmoded thinking about the nature of homosexuality. In that same speech he stereotyped many different races and ethnicities with a host of back-handed compliments. I'm sure he meant well and was an otherwise lovely man, but he clearly had issues.

For years I have heard other football players sing the man's praises, so that surely speaks volumes about him. He was feared and respected as a player and much loved as a man. Love him or hate him, you can't deny he died too damn young. [TL]