Wednesday, April 05, 2006

"Losing and Misery in Philly"


Its becoming harder and harder to stay a happy Philly fan anymore. Lets see you have the Sixers who before tonight's game despite having a playoffs spot were 4 games below .500 and doing everything in their power to be eliminated from the post season spot. The eagles are off a terrible year, with coach Andy Reid having about as much control over this team as a student teacher.

Meanwhile the Flyers came up short last night against the Rangers when they could have went into the lead in the Atlantic division with a win. Although it was a playoff like exciting game and real thrill ride, at the end of the day it was likely the Flyers last shot at the crown.

The Flyers are up and down all the time. If they went out in four games the first round I would not be shocked. Nor would I be shocked if they made it to the final four. It's just hard to believe in the team, because they will lose a bunch of bad games in a row, and the next day the players all say the same things.

"We didn't play a full 60 mins"; "We really just came out flat"; "We pretty much got one goal and were thinking about the first round of drinks after the game"; "Ah, gee we sure are sorry, it won't happen again I swear it wont!"

Monday, was the Phillies home opener. I have really been looking forward to the season this year for some reason. Ryan Howard played awesome in the pre-season breaking a grapefruit record for homeruns by the fighting phils.

Now I am pretty realistic and from what I read about the pitching a wild card spot is about as lofty as I should set my expectations. Anyway, all I asked from this ballclub was to win the home opener. They couldn't even do that. Not only that they made fools out of themselves.

Now I am not ready to bury this team yet (the papers and sports radio have been acting like the season is over), but it is just a frustrating feeling of disappointment that always goes hand and hand with cheering for any of these teams. I was counting down the days to the home opener and they were out of the game in two innings.

Yeah, Yeah I know you can't win them all. But can't we just for once win the big game?

No comments: