Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Only the Good Die Young"

I pretty much love my job, so going to work Monday morning isn't the drag that it was with most my other jobs (or going in at all for that matter). However this Monday was a total and utter shock for me

A co-worker of mine, who pretty much trained me in my department since I started last year passed away from a heart attack early Monday morning.

As if it isn't shocking enough to hear that your co-worker is dead. It was overly shocking because he was 32 years old, not heavy, not a heavy drinker, didn't smoke and was full of life. 32 is a mere 6 years older than me. I never heard of someone dying of a heart attack that young.

Its extemely tradgic because he just go bumped up to pretty much the highest position in the office last December. A job he had wanted for a very long time. He leaves behind a wife and a 3 year old and a one and half year old.

I guess lifes not fair, but it just seems like total bullshit for a good person to just die so young. It just doesnt make sense. The office is pulling together but this week has been really rough so far and the funneral is Friday which will be just awful.

I guess you really never know when your time is up. This guy was on top of the world and he is gone in the blink of an eye.

It really makes you take stock, I guess no one can really know what I am talking about unless they have been really jolted by losing someone close to them out of the blue who was so young. I worked very closely with him over the year I have worked there. I even went on a business trip with him last summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Liza

Anonymous said...

That's always tough. Back in 1990 I lost a coworker to asthma at age 22. Last week a Collingswood firefighter died of cancer at 23.

I'm always amazed, impressed and heartened by funerals for firefighters and cops. No matter who it is or how long they've been on the job, their comrades always come out in force. I passed by the firefighter's funeral home on my way to the PATCO station and saw close to 100 people waiting in line--more than half an hour before the place opened. A ladder truck from Colls and one from Oaklyn flanked Haddon Ave. right outside the place. They raised their ladders and hung a HUGE American flag between them. Police and fire vehicles blanketed the area. It was amazing. The sense of brotherhood and camaraderie is truly palpable. [TL]

Anonymous said...

simpre fi!