Sunday, May 13, 2007

"paradise lost"

Might be old news now, but I was going to write this a dozen times over the last two weeks. The Ritz movie theater in Voorhees, has been bought. Not only are they going to phase out the art movies they have there which are usually films rarely seen in any theaters, they will start to allow kids. The Ritz known for its indie movies, cool loby with cake, and booklets for the up coming movies will know be a place to bring the kids. As a single guy, this totally sucks. I hate having to put up with other peoples kids when I dont have to. It was nice that such a theater would offer you a chance to get away. Now, at the Ritz, kids will be there to run into you at the food stand, kick your hair, and be really annoying overall. The Ritz was something special, because when ads would say starting at "select theaters" it ment the Ritz. I rarely had to worry about if a movie that was and inidie movie that got no press would come to the Ritz or not. It always would. Not anymore, kids will be there, and it will play mostly the same movies that all the other dime a dozen theaters play. YOu have the Cinemark which is located in the middle of a ghost town. One wonders how much longer that theater can hang on, if the Wal-Mart never arrives. There is alway Lowes in Cherry Hill, that is over run with highschoolers who like to talk on their cell phone throughout the entire movie. Sucks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paradise lost indeed! That blows. No, that fucking blows. I don't go there very often, but when I do, it's for the same reasons as you. It's a damn shame to lose that.

The last time I was there was to see Capote with my wife. It was one of the rare occasions when we didn't have the kids with us, so we wanted to make the most of it by going to a more "grown up" theater. On the way out I hit the men's room and marveled at both its opulence and its cleanliness. However, I was amused to see that someone still managed to squeeze in some graffiti. In the teeny grout line between the marble tiles on the wall, someone had scrawled "FUCK". I guess that was upscale graffiti.

So who bought the place? AMC?

I'll stick with the Cinemark as long as possible. It's a pain in the ass for me to get to (from Collingswood), but it's worth it. Lowe's may be way closer, but it's like being in kiddieland. Hate it. [TL]

Anonymous said...

I never thought the Ritz was that great to begin with. Yes you could catch movies there that you couldn't catch anywhere else but I never went to a movie there that I couldn't see at Cinemark. I don't think the screens were that nice. Also the last time I was there, some high school kid carded me and I asked him why. He simply stated that I had to be 16 to get in and I told him that even if I was only 16 I wouldn't have any ID to give him. He looked at me with that, shut up lady and give me your damn ID look that most 15 year olds would give you and I gave him my ID that said I was way older then him. It just boggled my mind.

I agree with TL, Lowes is unfortunately the worst movie theater because of the immaturity level of the majority of its patrons. Rarely have I gone there when someone isn't talking through the movie or checking their cell phone.

I choose Cinemark anyday but if you want to see one of the new releases you might see it on one of the crappy screens.

And Tucker, what do you have against kids? Your post sounds like your life is completely bombarded with children 24/7 and your only respite is the Ritz.

-----Jenna

Jamie said...

No way. The Ritz was by far the best movie theater in the area. The screens are the best. The sound is perfect because you're not watching blockbusters there anyway. And the simple fact is that almost all movies that come to the cinemark or the lowes are shit, while I was always able to find at least 3 to 4 movies I would want to see at the Ritz. It's a sad day. Now I have to keep track of all of the "indie" type movies that come out and get them from Netflix when they are released.

Jamie said...

No way. The Ritz was by far the best movie theater in the area. The screens are the best. The sound is perfect because you're not watching blockbusters there anyway. And the simple fact is that almost all movies that come to the cinemark or the lowes are shit, while I was always able to find at least 3 to 4 movies I would want to see at the Ritz. It's a sad day. Now I have to keep track of all of the "indie" type movies that come out and get them from Netflix when they are released.