Monday, June 25, 2007

"Sharkys Bites the Dust"

Despite the fact that I had an awsome weekend down the shore(Don't think the weather could have been any better at all) a bit of sad news arrived at the tail end of my 3-day weekend. Rick was upate our local bar Sharky's and found found out that the bar had been sold. Sharkys is no longer as of Weds.

The bar that I went to many a night, and I swear have the best wings in all of South Jersey. Thankfully, though I guess I can still chow down on the wings at the location on route 42. But, the Sharkys that is closing was my local bar.

Many a night we spend there for a Phillies game or Flyers game. Drinking cheap ass beer, and eating at the bar that served food till 2am. I picking out songs on the jukebox or shooting some pool.

From what Rick heard the bar was sold, and will remain a bar, but who knows what the new owners will do. They are said to be wanting to put a deck on there and sink a lot of money into it. I would imagine they invision something totally different than the kind of bar they had there.

Since the bar industry in general is been in poor shape in this area for a few years now, its no shock really. But, still a sad day. The bar serveved its purpose many a night. Many times there to meet a friend who had a lousy day, a break up, or whatever. Met a friend there when he first got back from Iraq. Had many nights that ended there just for the hell of it.

I was pretty much cool with all the people up there, and all the help knew me any my friends on a first name basis. It was also kind of convient for me to grab a bite after work since it was on my way home, on days I didnt feel like cooking and needed a drink.

Many nights of my early (and as much I hate to say it now mid 20s were spent there) so now it will just become a place of the past. The bars name will always follow "Remember When". I have serious doubts that this bar will ever get off the ground. Seeing many people try to sink money into bars and it just seeing the wheels come off in the first month and just closing again. Maybe these people will go after the "Hey was just turned 21 crowd" I don't know. Kind of an odd spot for such a place. I remember when I first started hanging out there and people used to call it "Doms" that used to hang out there. Or would keep calling it "DOms". Mostly people that didnt hang out there anymore, and relating the glory days.

Yeah, another bar will be there in the same spot. But, it wont be the same for me, likely time to leave the torch there for another group of guys to take over. If I ever hear people talk about the new place, I can tell them that it used to be a place called "Sharkys" and they had kick ass wings.Obviously in the summer we dont hang out there that much, but my friends and I talked about if we were going to find another official bar. Its doubtful, I would imagine. I think when the new place opens up, it will be best to let the next batch of dudes take it over, and debate if the philly sports curse will end this season, where all the girls are at, why they hate their jobs, or what the deal is with that creepy guy giving out stuff animals to all the females at the bar.

Tomorrow (unless they do it early) should be the last night up at "The Tank", and I am debating to go up or not at all. RIP Sharkys. Its a sad day that the bar will close its doors, but as Tony Soprano once said "Focus on the Good Times"

No comments: