Sunday, September 28, 2003

"The Vet"

Well the Vet is now just another abandoned building in Philly. This past Sunday the last Phillies game and last event EVER was there. This week the building will start being gutted.

A good deal was mentioned about the stadium recently. The place had a pretty bad rap, with the awful playing surface and the dirty sections of the stadium. I watched a news report when the guy said it might not have been a great stadium, but when you mention the VET everyone knows what you are talking about.

I think what he ment to say, was that despite the buildings short comings thousands and thousands of people in this area have a story about an experience they had there. If it was a father who brought their son, or a couple who met there, or a memorable game. A million memories are there.

For me it wasnt the games so much as sitting there in the environment. My most memorable game I went to was the game I went to just after 9/11 with Lima Beanz and Ryan. I will never forget that strange feeling that was in the air that night. It was the first night that Baseball had returned after the attacks. I can't even explain the feeling it was a once in a life time feeling.

I am not even sure if they won or not to be honest with you. The building will be imploded in Feb. so now it just sits waiting its demise.

No comments: