Wednesday, October 01, 2003

"The Great Black Hype"


So Rush Limbaugh is in hotter water than ballpark frank over a comment he made on ESPN earlier this week in which he stated Eagles Quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because he was black and the media wanted to hype him up for the NFL, because apperently there are not a lot of black quarterbacks in the NFL.

Although I am open minded enough (is that irony?) to consider the possiblity that the NFL would want to try to show how diverse they are by trumping up a minority player in wake of all the PC stuff that goes around the country these days I don't agree with the claim. First off there are enough black players in the NFL as it is and black fans. Although I am no NFL expert, and only skim Eagles coverage and watch fragments of games I never really saw any evidence of the media giving this guy a pass. The Philly media pans anyone that underperforms all the time. I don't know about the national media.

Since I am not a hard core fan I have no idea if he is even over-rated. Jenna recently said she wanted to write and Eagles a letter about how much he sucked. My mom likes that AJ guy better. Does that count as anything? Perhaps the NFL did over-hype him, but I don't think it had anything to do with his skin color. The NHL does that constantly, does anyone actually think Jamie Storr, Eric Lindros or Alexander Daigle are future hall of famers? You might have by reading PR the NHL spewed out a few years ago about these busts. I do think the league might tell commentors ("The Media in this case I guess) to hype up players to make stars out of them. Either the NHL did that with Lindros or Bill Clement has some sort of homoerotic relationship with the Big E, who he will hype even if he spends the entire game wipping sweat off his brow with a dazed look on his face. Perhaps its the same in the NFL I wouldn't know. The local media certainly doesn't give anyone a pass and in sports I think thats the best way to get our coverage on a certain team.

I wonder if ESPN got what they wished, everyone is talking about the NFL pregame show. I honestly wouldnt have a problem if Rush had mentioned this "black card" theory on his syndicated radio show. Let me just clear this up I am not a ditto head. I know people might not buy into that statement since I am still trying to convince people I am not in love with Jenna. However that is his soapbox, I would have no problem if he did that on his show. You don't have to listen to him. I think Howard Eskin is a ten times larger asshole than Rush, so I rarely listen to him. I admit I tune in on occassion and I do admit to agreeing on what he says about some political issues but I certainly am about as far away as a philly team winning a championship to him when it comes to social vaulues such as race and gay marraiges.


I feel bad for Donovan a bit, despite playing awful the first two weeks. I think he is a classy and well spoken guy who needs this like a new Mathew Perry Movie.

Man what a great week for liberal bloogers Drew's "traffic" is going off the chart. Speaking of the l would like to address my traffic today. I would like to thank both my readers who check this web blog every two weeks. I would also like appoligize to the reader who thought he was reading the life and time of Darcey Tucker. Oh yeah we have a back up on 295 south bound too, which means it must be ending in Y.

No comments: