Sunday, April 18, 2004

"Sympathy for a Devil"

Maybe the old expression about your mother always being right is true. Earlier in the playoff round bettween the Flyers and Devils my mother told me she thought that Pat Burns looked awful. I told her he just looked older than the last time she saw him (she only really pays attention to playoff hockey). I suggested maybe its cause the Devils have a policy that their coaches be clean shaven which resulted in him shaving off his trademark mustache. Just thought my mom was being "crazy" again.

Anyway turns out something was wrong and rumors were starting to fly last night that Burn who had missed two practices for the Devils was ill. Earlier today (Sunday) the Devils made it public that Pat Burns has colon cancer. Just horrible news.

I was always a big fan of Burns going back to this Maple Leafs days and was hoping the Flyers hired him once when he was out of work and the Flyers were shopping around(when they ended up with Hitch). Burns won the cup with the Devils last season.

Anyway despite been the coach of the hated Devils I really hope he pulls through. God knows the hockey world has lost too many in short period of time with Herb Brooks, Roger, and Danny Snyder.

Hope Pat Burns gets well soon and is behind the bench next year. I also hope the Devils players have fun working on their golfing game.

No comments: