Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"Corn Quest!"

One of the luxuries of living in South Jersey is the great produce. We are well known for our tomatoes, blue berries and fresh corn in the summer time.

Now as most of you know my father has a garden and the only one of the three mentioned that we grow are tomatoes. So, obviously they are always really good.

Now as far corn goes we usually go to bucks, and for a real treat we go to Stella's to get our ears of corn. It is July and from the 4th of July till pretty much the start of August is when you should get the best corn. It's in its prime during those weeks.


However, I sadly have yet to taste the sweet corn that I am used to. Every ear I have eaten this year has been. Meh, eh, or Blah.
So-so corn.


Has anyone else noticed how the corn isn't as sweet as it should be? I tried supermarkets too. Has anyone got really good corn anywhere? If so where?

Let me know.


Hmm...maybe I should have just gone to bed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, we have really great corn in North Jersey. Even my crappy Stop and Shop has great corn. And I know the difference, I grew up in South Jersey.

-Brant

Anonymous said...

Damnit, brant beat me by like a minute. I went out pick my own blueberries and corn 2 weeks ago. It was with my girlfriend (awww) and it was out by the, then dry, Lenape High School. We rode out in a hay ride (kinda) driven by some ol toothless farmer-type. Thier were stations at each area, one for the berries, peaches, and corn. There was a cooler of icy water at each, so it was fun pretending to be a farmer for an hour or so, even if we were the 2 oldest kids there. It was very kindergarten freindly. NEVER FALTER IN SEARCH OF SWEET CORN!

Tom T

keith said...

Well usually corn in South Jersey will be better, because the soil is simply richer. Now was this a farm or a stand where he got shipments from other places?


Where was the blueberry place Tom? Sounds fun. The season will be over in like two weeks though.

Someone give me the names of places where you got sweet corn this summer. Not LAME corn.

Anonymous said...

Corn is devoid of nutritional value and retains its original dimensions after you blast it out your ass.

I'll stick with tomatoes.

-DK

Anonymous said...

I got great corn at a roadside shop in Watchung, and also my local Stop n' Shop has excellent corn. I don't understand why you can't get any Keith.

-Brant

Jenna said...

I got great sweet juicy corn from Stella's last week. I have never had a bad piece of corn from there.

Anonymous said...

I miss Stella's. We have a few places that are decent substitutes, but none are as good as Stella's.

-Brant

keith said...

I was never let down by Stella's till this summer. It was very lame, not sweet at all. Only the end of July it should still be sweet.

I am going to try to find some sweet corn this weekend, and will report back!

Feel free to drop some corn
at my house randomly if you know where I live.

Has anyone tried Produce Junction?

Anonymous said...

Not to rub salt in an open wound, but I went to the Grand Buffet on Stelton Rd in South Plainfield tonight and had incredible corn. Now Drew knows this place. They serve chinese, italian, and american food. None of it is that great, but it is cheap and all you can eat. I had the best corn of the season. It was juicy, tender, and very sweet. I tried to convince Jenn to put some in her purse to bring home for you Keith, but the idea didn't fly.

-Brant

keith said...

Thanks for the thought Brant. If the corn is as good as you say, even with the lint on it from being stored in a purse for several hours would likely beat out the ho-hum ears I have been munching on all summer.