Wednesday, July 07, 2004

"John & John!"

John F Kerry named John Edwards as his running mate yesterday. Bummer for anyone who placed money on Megatron.
So, the John and John team is now off to the races and ready to knock Bush off his hill.

Now, I am not a political junkie like Drew (don't tell him about the intervention please), but I am a media junkie (which is why I choice the useless major I chose) which makes me quite aware of most things out there political. Armed also with a few of my own less mainstream webpages to cut through the what the media wants me to read. Anyway my long winded point is that I am not an expert on politics, but shouldnt't be the other way around?

I don't know I think Edwards looks better, speaks better, and has a better connection with the people. Kerry looks like he belongs in a used car lot hire pressuring college students into buying lemons. While Edwards looks like he might have just walked out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

I can only hope that now that the dream team is ready to go that perhaps Kerry can be more clear on who he is, instead of why we should hate Bush. Talking about how he feels on abortion recently is a step in the right direction. However, if he is going save the world like many liberals seem to think he will he should come up with some ideas how to turn things around.

Now do you think, Edwards would topple anyone over that was on the fence and take votes away from people voting for Bush? I mean most people voting for Kerry if that whacky dancing old guy from the Great Adventure commericals was his running mate.

Already, thinks are started to surface about Edwards shady lawyer ties, and how money may or may not have been legally rasised while he was in the primary. I don't have a link for that yet, and am too lazy to look for one now. However, if I get one I will put it here.


So, did the democrats use backwards logic here?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kerry has plenty of ideas on how to turn things around. They're just hard to find because the media is lazy and gets bored easily when candidates start talking policy. For one thing, Kerry has a plan to extend health insurance to over 25 million American who don't currently have it. This would still leave an unacceptably large gap, but it would reduce the numbers of the uninsured by more than half. It will be expensive, and I'm not sure whether Kerry will be able to get it through Congress (it depends a lot on how Congressional elections go in November), but there's a solid plan for you.

He also wants to cut the deficit in half in four years, which is okay. Personally, I think Kerry makes a bigger priority out of this than he should, but it's good politics.

Doing both of those things together might be tricky, but Kerry has stated that deficit reduction takes priority over just about everything except expanding healthcare coverage. It looks like Kerry is trying to make healthcare his signature domestic issue, and that's great, because Bush couldn't be more vulnerable. He has been a miserable failure on healthcare. The number of uninsured have gone up since he took office, and he's done nothing about it. He fulfilled his campaign promise to add a prescription drug benefit to Medicare, sort of, but even senior citizens hate his plan, and it's obscenely expensive. Kerry can do a lot better.

He can't save the world, but he will be an improvement over Bush. Of course, that's a pretty low bar.

Unknown said...

FOr more info, see here.Also, are you saying that Edwards/Kerry would be better than Kerry/Edwards? If so, I agree. Once Dean got torpedoed in the primaries, I was stronly rooting for John Edwards to take Kerry down off his frontrunners porch.

Since then, however, Kerry has turned into a stronger candidate than I thought he would, especially in terms of fundraising. I've been very impressed by Kerry so far, and his pick of Edwards as his running mate is just the latest example of Kerry beating my own expectations of him.

keith said...

Do you think Edwards is too liberal too help sway voters that are on the fence? Would it be wiser to use to use a more moderate canidate?

Maybe Kerry, has something up his sleves. However, look how much was raise once Edwards joined the dream team.

Edwards is fairly affable and if you put vice again vice (although that doesnt always mean much) I think Edwards better to the American public. If they are in a spot the dems, can just paint old Dick as a mean spirited war lover.

So do you want the double John this November or a Dick and a Bush in the white house?

Anonymous said...

By Ed Greene

Edwards was chosen to help Kerry in the south. This was the last big media event of Kerry's campaign. That's why it took so long for him to make his decision. He's gonna be a flop at the convention. I've been to Boston. It blows. Kerry has lost and he's going down.

By the way Texas and New Mexico Sucks! But the 'traveling folder" is doing well.

Pictures will be comming soon.

Unknown said...

All due respect, Ed, your political analysis is a bit off. If Edwards helps Kerry in the South, that would be icing. Edwards was picked to help Kerry in the midwest, specifically Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, western Pennsylvania. That's why Gephardt was on the shortlist, to help in the same reason. Kerry rightly picked Edwards because Gephardt's popularity is really limited to union workers, whereas Edwards's "Two Americas" campaign speech resonated with working class people regardless of union affiliations. I don't expect Kerry to win N. Carolina, even with Edwards. But Edwards probably will force Bush to spend money there.

Also, I think whichever candidate wins this election will be the won who wins two of the following three states: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida. I'd give the odds to Kerry on that at this point.

Keith, I hadn't heard the Kerry got an uptick in donations following the Edwards pick. Not too surprising, though, given all the media attention. Not that Kerry was hurting for money. He's the most potent political fundraiser ever, beating the 2000 record set by Bush, who beat the previous record set by Clinton. I don't know how much credit Kerry deserves for that, but that's how it is.

I think Edwards vs. Cheney is going to make for a great VP debate. They're both very good in debates.

keith said...

I can't really agree with Ed that Kerry is a flop. How can you tell that yet? The summer isn't even half over. A lot will happen this summer leading up to Nov.

Yeah, you might be right about him delaying the timing. Obviously all the press for a the VP, is basically free publicity for your campaign. Maybe, he put off making it public since all the Bush-bashing was giving him a free ride.

If I find a link for Edwards giving a huge boast I will post it. They were talking about it on the radio I know that.

Anonymous said...

feel free to come on in and check it out anytime. :)