Monday, January 10, 2005

"Type it Don't Gripe It"

So, we have all been screwed before.

Screwed by something we bought that was broken or food that was bad. Or something that breaks after a few days or those things that look cool in the store that simply dont work.

Well, right before Christmas and right around Turkey Day, Liza and I exchange gifts in honor of when we started dating. Well I got her a box of Whitman Samplers because she loves candy, and I figured if I was lucky I could eat some too.

So, I gave them to her when we exchanged gifts. A few days later she finally opened it when I was hanging out with a friend and she was staying in. She called me to tell me she opened it and they were covered in all that white nasty stuff that chocolate gets when its old.

Now picture this my picture this my sweet girlfriend settling in for the night. Being all happy and cozy in her home. Ready to watch some animal planet and she wants to treat herself to a Whitman Sampler. Only to find that they were likely packaged during the Clinton admistration.

So, now I had to take it back to get my money back. Which ment the next time I saw her I would have to bring it home, then the next day bring it back to the mall, and then she couldn't get it till we saw each other again. So, the present was several days late till it was actually enjoyed.

I was pretty mad,so I got the address of the box and wrote them a letter. I told them how my family always eats them during the holiday season, and my one aunt always gives us a box. I talked about how let down I was that the choclate was bad. In the meantime I got my money back from the Hallmark store in the mall, and got a new box at the CVS in the mall.

So, just after Christmas I got a free box of whitman sampler in the mail. Today I got a letter telling me why they thought the candy went bad and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. They also offered me free shipping for and order of 30 bucks or more good for a year.

Now I don't claim to be the first person to point this out, but it really does work. Everyone rants or bitches to someone, or blogs, or emails a friend about when they get screwed. God knows I was ranting when I got the news that I gave my girlfriend nasty ass candy. So you are going to bitch, just be honest in your letter and they will hook you up.

So, its simple just get your thougts out in microsoft word, and drop a letter in the mail. You are almost certain to get something for free, and feel better about yourself. So, you can sit there and bitch and tell Drew or someone who will just be like that sucks, or you can write a letter and get free stuff. So, you are going to be pissed might as well get something out of it.

Anyone else do this? Give me some good stories. I know Royce has some good ones related to this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Keith you did not get anything for free. In fact you are going to be out $30 because you are now going to go out of your way to buy something online that you normally would not just so you can take advantage of their "offer."

But bitching does indeed work. When I worked at Blockbuster if you even thought about complaining (no matter how wrong you may have been) not only would get your late fees taken away but they would do anything short of fellatio to make you happy. It was revolting. All anyone had to do was call some 800 number and they got free rentals out the ass. This works anywhere, just ask John to retell the great Taco Bell incident.

J

keith said...

Maybe I didn't make it clear. I returned the bad candy and got my money back. Then I went and bought candy at CVS, so I paid for one.

Then another box came in the mail. So, the 2nd box was free. You are right about the free shipping, but for that maybe a ploy for me to spend more money.

But for you being a party pooper your are off my 2005 Whitman Christmas List.

I am thinking on writing to hickory farms when my holiday supply runs out. I will just tell them how great there stuff is, and I bet I get something for free.

Now your blockbuster thing is different I think. People who had no right to be mad are just dumb, and are rude to the blockbuster employees. That I dont agree with because you are rewarding jerks. Meanwhile mr nice guy comes in all pleasant and never gets anything free.

Now, I was very nice in the letter and even said I know they didnt do it on purpose. There is a big difference between that and someone saying they want a free rental since their movie had these annoying black bars at the top and bottom.

Anonymous said...

It's true. In high School I had a hobby of writing to corporations. I wasn't honest, though. I usually took on an alter ego.

For example: I wrote in to M&Ms, Mars Co. that I was mauled by a bear and lost my arm. I told them that their, "Melts in your mouth not in your hands" slogan offended me because I only had a "hand" not "hands" and that they should change their slogan to a more politically correct, "Melts in your mouth not in your hand/hands (if you have any)".

Also, I would not always complain. It's easy to get free stuff by just asking questions or making suggestions. Does Wilford Brimley really eat oatmeal? Is it ok to use rogaine on pubic hair? Can I use tomato paste as a skin moisturizer? Is it harmful to my "area" to use 12 rolls of toilet paper a week?

Here a tip for would-be-letter-writers: don't settle for a form letter. If you don't receive a response, or your questions are not addressed, simply keep writing back until you are adequately responded.

Love,

Royce

Jenna said...

This Christmas I ordered a Keyboard for Hunter from KB Toys online. It was supposed to come with a microphone and when we opened the a few days after Christmas there was no microphone. I was pissed. There was no phone number on the box or address for the manufacturer. This made me even more angry. So I went back to KB Toys online and no telephone number for problems there either, only a place to email them. So I told them I liked the piano, it worked, but since the microphone was missing that they needed to send it to me. Well, 3 days later I received a complete keyboard sent to me with 2 microphones in it. So being the nice person that I am I gave it to my neighbors grandson. Unfortunately, my sister took all the credit for it and I will give her a swirly later. The sqeaky wheel gets the oil!

keith said...

First off Royce, what did the M&M people say when they go your letter? Also, wasn't there a story about you writing to a guy who wrote a book about getting free stuff? Or was that someone else?


Second, are Hunter and Jay going to jam and sing and put on shows for the crew?

Jenna said...

That would be up to Jay and Hunter. Seeing as all Hunter sings right now is "DOODOODOO, DEEDEEDEE". They may need to rehearse more.