Monday, September 05, 2005

"Get Well Brody"

I only recently learned a few weeks ago that actor Roy Scheider was dignosed with cancer in June. He under went bone marrow transplant to treat multiple myelnoma which is from what I understand a cancer of the plasma cells.


Scheider is likely best known for play Cheif Martin Brody in Jaws and its first sequel. This put him on the list of "Keith's actors" (anyone interested in my providing an actual list?) and gave him one of AFIS most memoriable lines.

"Were going to need a bigger boat"

In addition to Jaws, he also played in well regared 70's films The French Connection, Marathaon Man, and All that Jazz. Other movies you may know him from are 2010, 52-Pick Up and the Rainmaker.


TV people might know him from his short lived tv show Seaquest.

Does anyone know anything about this form of cancer? THat could shed some light on his chances of a full recovery?

Roy seemed to be in good spirits when a months ago when the story broke (where the heck was I?).

"It went well. They harvested my stem cells. I was my own donor. I won't be bouncing around like I usually do this summer. I'll be weak. I'll be recovering. But, to all those wishing me well, thank you very much." --he told the NY post in June.

Hang in there Brody, remember Hooper drives the boat and Jersey Pride!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, especially since I like Roy Scheider's work so well, but nowadays it seems like whenever a famous person gets treated for cancer, he or she dies within a year. Think about it: William Rehnquist, Gene Siskel, Bob Denver, Robert Urich, Michael Landon. As I recall, all of them died within a year of treatment. Let's hope that Roy breaks the streak. [TL]

Anonymous said...

Here's another often overlooked movie for your Roy Scheider list: The Seven-Ups. Despite the goofy title, it's another gritty NYC cop story in the French Connection vein, but with a Bullit-esque car chase through the city, climaxing in a jaw-dropping crash. Tame by today's standards, perhaps, but at least you know that it all happened on the street, not in a computer. [TL]

keith said...

I always thought 2010 was underrated. I mean it just wasn't the same type of movie as 2001.

I saw parts of Blue Thunder I dont think it holds up well, because I always fall a sleep.

Through 90's its been mostly straight to video stuff. He was in that HBO movie about the making of Citzen Kane.

I might have to check out Seven-Ups. Anyone else in it? I know my movies, but you got me on that one.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember there being anybody else of note in The Seven-Ups. There is one guy who you'll probably recognize immediately, but I don't know his name. He has played villians in probably half the TV movies and shows made in the 70s and 80s.

Totally agree that 2010 is woefully underrated. It's also one of the few movies where John Lithgow is well contained. He's usually way too over the top for me. Bob Balaban was great. Helen Mirren's always great.

Blue Thunder! I forgot about that one! I saw that in the theater way back when. You're right about it not holding up.

He also did a bunch of Third Watch episodes a few years ago as a Russian mob boss in NYC. Hard to take him seriously with that accent, though. [TL]