Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"Beds"

So I am in the market for a new bed, and let me tell you its a pain.

First off when you go into these bed stores they understandably make you lay down on the bed to try it out. So there I am position laying on the bed as the sales person hovers over me. Talk about power position. I have to curl up and lay on my side like I normally would in my sleep. As strangers pass me. Or even more akwardly im the only one in the store.

I sit there under the bright lights of the store laying on the same bed half of South Jersey has laid on. Trying to imagine the union that could form between my and this bed for the next decade at least. You are talking about someone who takes four trips to the store in order to pick up a new pair of sneakers. Only to end up with black sneakers that look mildly different than the pair they are replacing.

I generally have a rule not to buy anything the first time out. Kind of like when you go around the board in monopoly once before you can purchase a property.

Anyway, I lay on the bed trying to figure out if the bed is too soft , or too hard. On one hand the cloud like softness seems nice. However, I start pondering about it hurting my back, but the "firm" ones make my feel like I am sleeping on a rock.

When I do find myself enjoying the comfort of the bed it soons vanishes when I roll over and see the price tag. THe other day the sales lady was trying to tell me what a good deal it was. I wanted to tell her that it cost almost 3 times what I sold my last car for. Once she started talking about financing the bed, I knew it was out of my ballpark.

The longer it takes me to make the decision the more doubt I will have in whatever purchase I will make. Which every day that passes the level of buyers remorse that I will have increases two notches.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Just do what Jamie did for a couple of years, sleep on your couch. Put some fun stuff in your "bedroom" and turn it into a den.

Unknown said...

You don't have to go around the board once before buying something in Monopoly.

Nice analogy, though.

keith said...

I just knew you would chime in. It was part analogy, part knowing Drew was going to bring out his offical rule book.

Honestly, till you told me I always thought that was a rule. Clearly that rule was invented by someone who owned the game and rolled bad, and it was based on from generation to generation.

Unknown said...

Of all the fake rules, that one at least makes sense to me, since it eliminates the advantage of going first. But it's still not a real rule.