Sunday, March 04, 2007

"The Thin Yellow Line"

Today's broadcast of the Flyers/ Penguins game on NBC was a joke. They never had a penalty clock up the entire game. So, when players were in the sin bin, I never knew how long they still had to go. I could never tell how much longer a two man advantage was going to be either. All they did was put a yellow bar up under the name of the team that had the power play. Sometimes, that didn't even get that right by putting it under the wrong team. I know the Igloo is an old building and is why the game was not in HD today, but the fact that they couldn't put a clock up for penalties was a pathetic. As far as I know, they never bothered to even tell the viewers why their broadcast lacked a feature that was created in the early 90's. It was a total disgrace, and I imagine the papers might mention it tomorrow since lots of people are bitching, but there was simply no excuse. One of the worst things I have ever seen in all my years of watching hockey from a broadcast standpoint.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you couldn't hear the announcers. Either the cheers/jeers from the crowd blocked them out or they were talking wearing ski masks.

keith said...

That is a common problem with Penguins broadcasts. I don't know where some of broadcast team sits, but its often hard to hear them. I know the building has no luxury boxes because it was built in 1967.I think it is usually better for the home team guys, but they stick the road teams in the lousy place, like when philly goes in there JJ and the crew will be drowned out by fans. I don't remember it being that bad when I saw games on ESPN or ABC broadcast from there. I get they go out of their way to air the penguins more often on the road. Even still I no excuse for the yellow line.

Anonymous said...

Death to the Yellow Line!