Friday, March 09, 2007

"Top Dog is Dead"

As of April 15th Top Dog will be no longer. The nightclub/sports bar will now go after a different crowd according the Courier-Post. The owner will make it another cookie cutter family grill and dinning place. The upstairs club will now be only for banquets.

"To, stay in this business you have to change with the time" said the bar owner.

I didn't realize that going out trying to meet people and getting drunk was out of style. But, I guess I am not in the biz. The place will have a more girly name and be known as "Taylor's Grill". Apperently, there is one in Willamstown already. I recall the owner wanting to open up ap place. I guess I just never noticed it opened since I am not in the target customer age range.

I did enjoy the bands there, and I am sure a lot of people will miss that. But, I honestly only have gone there like 3 times a year the last two years if that. But, still its sad since I went there for my 21st birthday that it will be converted into a lame dime a dozen family place.

HAlf shirts will be replaced by blue hair and early bird specials.

I have to be honest though the few times I ate there I didn't really care for the food, so I hope that if this guy wants to have banquets that he fires all the chefs and hires new ones. Last time I was there was when I had business in the area. The happy hour buffet was pretty decent. Well it was free so.

They say the dinners will cost $10-20 and the banquets can fit over 200 people. Which is I guess where they will make their money. I don't know who would want to have a banquet at Top Dog though. I wonder how much the smoking ban killed this place money wise. Bars and clubs in NJ dropped like flies when it was passed.


Maybe Sharkey's will become the elite bar of south jersey.

Times are changing.

5 comments:

keith said...

I dont know if it WAS the smoking ban, I mean they have a ton of outside smoking area. But look at the bars that feel since the ban

Bamboo Bernies, McCdonnel's (i heard they werent paying their taxes), and now Top Dog.

I don't get the banquet hall thing there is a bunch of them in the hotels along route 70 in CHerry Hill also. I don't maybe I ought to have a Tucker's World Banquet and jump on the bandwagon.

That Gatsby place was way before my time I guess. I never even heard that before. I guess you are up on your South Jersey history.

I think it was where the old Iguanas was, but I was never old enough to go there. I think I was there for some under age nights.


Maybe there is a connection, but I think the place in Willamstown is actually called Taylor's too.

I would think someone else will put a club type place up in Cherry Hill. I cant imagine that it wasn't making any money. PEople from Philly would leave the City to go there.

I wonder if they are going to fire all the slutty looking bartenders.

Anonymous said...

Top what? Dog who? Never heard of it.

Anonymous said...

Top Dog Gone? Thats Crazy.

I don't know how that place didn't make money. Too bad that place was known to attract some serious tail.

Marc

Anonymous said...

Keith you are crazy. It is absolutely not the smoking ban. Bamboo Bernie's is one of the worst examples that you could use. It was a shit bar to begin with and everything that was there before it failed miserably as well. It is in a crappy location and whatever is going to be in there now is probably going to fail in a few years as well. From what I have heard, Top Dog wasn't doing that well for a while and was having a hard time getting the crowds they used to get when we used to go there. I think you are way off on the smoking ban.

Jenna

keith said...

It was just a thoery really. Just threw that out there.

Most clubs in cities fade with in a few months.

I still don't see how this place will make money with banquets. But everyone is doing. I am not sure I ever had fun at a Banquet.