Thursday, November 07, 2002

"Dan K.'s Wild Ride"

Well if read Dan K. Hemphill: Race Car Driver? a week ago, you know that Dan K. was about to put the pedal to the metal. Well the predictions were half right. Thankfully he is not dead, but he did crash his car. What follows is an email I got from him hours ago. I honestly thought it was a hoax, like the time he told me Eric Lindros was in a coma after a car accident. Okay Here is the e-mail. TGIF loyal readers!

I'm in pain. My neck hurts, my shoulders hurt, and my chest hurts. This is the result of driving an Indy car right into the back of another driver at 100mph. The sad part is, my prediction came true, the accident happened right before big bend on the straightaway. All of the cars had manual transmissions, the guy in front of me in the green car was about half way down the straightaway. What I didn't know at the time was that he was in 2nd gear and couldn't get the car into 3rd, so he was only going 35 or 40mph.

On the straightaway I was in 4th and had it floored, doing about 100mph. As(the) big bend came up I noticed the green car was right in front of me, he came up so quick! I smashed into the back of him, causing him to spin out of control and fly off the road. The front half of my indy car was cut off, the electrical system died, and my body catapaulted forward, causing the restraints to slam into my shoulders and chest. The car just hobbled to the side of the road. The car was majorly f**ed. The instructor said that was the first accident to happen there in awhile. Leave it up to Dan K to go overboard. I was hoping to rip around big bend at 90 or so. I didn't even make it that far.

And no, this is not a joke.

No comments: