Sunday, March 30, 2003

“Leaf Blowing”

Well looks like the Flyers are destined to point their skates at the Toronto Maple Leafs baring a mathematical miracle. These two teams have been checking each other out for months. In fact they actually went out and got players in anticipation for each other.

Now the Flyers are playing fairly well but are up against some of the weakest opponents in the league most of which are already thinking about the golf course instead of the hockey rink. Meanwhile the leafs has suffered massive injuries including Doug Gilmour, Glenn Wesly, and Gord Roberts who has barely played all year. Meanwhile I have read that they have had some Flyer like locker room turmoil with players being angry at Darcy Tucker regarding a dirty hit.

The leafs are a dirty team and will try to scare the Flyers off their system, and Ed Belfour has the tendency to catch fire come playoff season. While I was glad to be proven wrong about the Flyers goalie situation I fear Check-Os mild groin pull might become a sidelining injury. It is common knowledge in the league this point of his injury. So don’t be surprised if the leafs (most likely Tucker) take intended runs at our goalie. It is going to be an ugly series and I fear if the Flyers goals fall short of expectations early on they might get down on themselves.

You know right now that leafs are studying the white hot line of Amonte, Murray, and JR. They likely already have players to in mind to combat them. As for the Flyers when Gagne returns I hope they don’t displace Marty Murray for him, because if it isn’t broken….

The easy schedule is good and bad for the Flyers. It’s good because our players can run up their points to perhaps have other fans around the league stop bending over in laughter looking at how many points our leading scorer has. Also the fact that they are scoring goals is good for moral and will make them think their goal scoring curse has been lifted. At the same time it could be bad because it could be a false sense of security. The reality of the playoffs might hit them like sunlight blinding Dan K’s face after a weekend in a dark apartment.

It’s hard to figure out what the Flyers will do against the leafs. Since I am a die hard, people keep and will continue to ask me what the outcome will be. Although I am posting my predictions on here once they have the match ups set I don’t honestly think I can form an opinion to after I see game 1. I simply don’t know. All I know is that Lima Beanz is a jerk.

Make sure you scroll down and read the other entry for today.

No comments: