Thursday, June 12, 2003

"Tell the Parents"

Okay I have known about Jenna’s pregnancy for longer than everyone. I was already to post about it so my readers would have something shocking to read about. However, Jenna told me that it would be a good idea to wait a few weeks. She wanted to make sure they were past a certain stage of the pregnancy. I did that, but I never posted. Mainly because Jay (lima beanz) had yet to tell his parents, and believe me I had some great insight. Months and months later Jenna was the first to blog about it.

Slowly but surely (okay not so slowly) word spread. Some even figured it out on their own, and mostly everyone found out at by my graduation party. However, he has yet to tell his parents (unless he broke down tonight but I doubt it).

I understand I might have some outside readers on this one. So I let me sum up a few things. Jenna is easily my closet female friend, and the two of us have been through a lot with each other. I can’t imagine being able to maintain my current relationship if I didn’t have a female friend like her over the years to make light of my many years of romantic misadventures and wounded egos from girls who dicked me. She usually made me end up laughing at being jerked around by girl so I wouldn’t let it get to me. She made me a better person for Liza (my girlfriend).

Jenna and I for many summers were always together sparking rumors (mainly from our parents) that we were secretly in love with one another. Jenna was always popular with the guys heck she’s an attractive girl and has a great personality. However, she decided around this past Christmas that she would rather be on again for the long term with her on again off again love interest LIMA BEANZ. Which I have posted about several times. Lima Beanz and I have had our differences over the years, but it has mostly mellowed over time.

Okay now obviously all the precautions were not taken to prevent the pregnancy or else we wouldn’t be talking about it would we? However, the time to blame anyone has passed. Stuff like who should have taken what pill or who should have used a condom that didn’t expire before Clinton left office . The reality it the decision was made to spare this child’s life thankfully. It certainly isn’t “Baby Beenzie’s” fault his parents got caught up in a wild moment of passion.

Okay I will admit since we both ended up getting into relationships at the same time, our friendship kind of changed. We simply don’t have much one on one time together aside from at work (we both a crappy retail job) but I have tried to make her feel better when ever I could. I know she gets support from her family so for the most part I serve as comedy relief for her. Everyone needs to laugh right? I even told her I would go to her doctor visits with her if Lima Beanz could not attend early on. Thankfully he did.

Jay’s parents likely have no idea that they are about to be grandparents. Perhaps Lima Beanz has no idea how many times my friend has been reduced to tears in front of me at work over the fact that she can’t understand why he won’t tell his parents. I want to tell her everything is going to be okay and I can do that about the child being born healthy and her family pitching in to help raise the child. However I can’t honestly tell her that everything will be okay from Jay’s position. Why would he not tell his parents? Shame? Fear of them? I told her for the longest time that the more people that know (many didn’t till recently) the more of a reality it would become to him. For a period of time he could just hang out with his friends and not have to hear or talk about it. Meanwhile Jenna was in tears and her body was starting to go through changes. She has to go through the pain of childbirth for his kid. The least he could do is go through the hell of telling his parents.

Are they ready to be parents? Only they can answer that. However their current situation worries me, and luckily they will have a nursery built for the Baby Beanzie at Jenna’s home. However its time to buckle down and for the two of them to earn better money and bust their asses for this kid. Since Jenna is having the actual child the work load falls mainly on Jay’s massive shoulders.

Earlier today Lima Beanz was talking about joining Drew and Duke at their current jobs. The job is ideal for Jay because he will have no job in a few weeks when his long time sub-teaching gig ends. It is also related to his field. I told him I heard that they pay well (12.50 an hour) and offer overtime. Jay frowned upon this and said that was more for Duke because he needed the money more than him and he wasn't going to work OT. Actually Jay needs the money A LOT more than Duke. Baby Beanzie needs the money. He was not making a joke either. He was serious. That’s why the girl who loves him so much sleeps in a puddle of tears on a regular basis.

Many jokes have been made about the pending parenthood (hey it’s a gold mine of one-liners) however the whole Jay not telling his parents can no longer fall under “That’s Our Lima Beanz” and needs to be dealt with immediately and so does his attitude towards his job situation.

My friend Ryan who I grew up with dicked me and didn’t come to my graduation party recently. He lied
to my face and my parents face about coming. Ryan has seemingly been a different person in the past 6 months which have sparked many jokes about “That’s our Ryan not hanging out”. However Lima Beanz and I agreed recently that the his decision to not call me let alone show up at my party could easily have damaged long standing friendships and it is not longer all that funny. Was Jay lying to Jenna’s face all the times he said he would be there for her? Does he realize that it is no longer funny? Maybe he should take applied that logic to his own life. He is part of new family officially by the end of the summer. Being a father involves being a bigger more mature person than you were 9 months ago. This is a major step for him that needs to be taken. Lima Beanz needs to tell his parents before irreversible damage is done to his relationship with Jenna and or his parents. He is a father for life, and there will be many more obstacles to over come. I am sure there will be many rewarding moments too.

The days of being totally careless are gone for the both of them for the most part. They are responsible for a human life. Its time for Jay to suck it up and put both feet into the kiddie pool and accept his new life. There is a hard road ahead of them both, being a parent, working hard at getting jobs to support their child without leaning on their parents too much. . Even though many people might think he was unlucky to be in this awkward situation. At the same time he did get lucky in the sense that the woman that is having his child has it in her to be a damn good mother not every guy can say that.




No comments: