Tuesday, June 10, 2003


“Tucker’s Quest”


So I have been in the job market for almost half a year now, and I don’t particularly care for the job market. Sending out resumes, sifting few the same job opportunities over and over again. Looking for a sparkle that catches me eye. Something I am confident I could do, or at least would pay reasonable.

It’s been a long road so far. A few times I felt that the road had ended, but since my phone calls never came I figure I haven’t hit the last mile yet. Its frustrating to the point that at times I will just zone out in front of the compute like a zombie, other times its just plain disheartening to the point that I think I should get some sort of refund for my education. I look at some of my other friends who attended college, and none of them are exactly on a fast paced career path. Most of them decided after a few years of unfulfilling work that being a student is better and are currently perusing more expensive degrees.

Many people remained at jobs that ironically put them through college. A depressing, but logical move that I have temporarily accepted. Always taking the safe bet. Yep that’s Tucker. Being practical. Even if it involves working with the dregs of society.

Sometimes I should consider myself lucky. Some of the people I am going against have no jobs or any sort of income at all. Many of them with other humans in their live to support. Some of these people at job fairs have been out of work as long as I have been done school. I’d imagine Price went through more hell in an hour than I did since my last final at Rowan, given his high risk job. A son of a co-worker’s life was cut short this past week. He will never have a chance to arrive at this cross roads. Lost in the mean streets of Philly.

People give me all kind of advice. Some more meaningful than others. People that have never done such a thing don’t understand why I don’t have a job yet. Apparently I missed the booth that was giving them away at my graduation ceremony. I walked a few weeks ago, and I felt a little better that everyone else that finished up in December was in the same crowded boat. No one that has just finished finals had exactly lined anything up just yet. Those wise enough to choice education, nursing or engineering are reaping the benefits of open markets in big demand The rest of us are fighting over the same jobs. Most of them ask the question in the ad whether or not we are driven.

I have had several interviews. Just the first step. Sometimes I have gotten to the farther rounds of the interviewing process. Sadly those are jobs I didn’t desire as much as ones I got eliminated from in the first round. One example is Madison Reily . Apparently a marketing company. However they don’t actually pay you anything. You just make meager earnings on outside sales. I wouldn’t be opposed to such a thing. I really wanted an outside sales job for a newspaper selling ad space. However Madison Reliy, gives no such base pay. You also have to spend time schooling new employees or taking potential employees (like I had to do) out on the road. I did this on my 2nd interview. I decided it wasn’t for me. I wouldn’t have lasted. Their top earners made less than I make at Sears. Supposedly it all works out in a year when you are making six figures. Sound shady? Perhaps. Just look up the company in any of the job search engines and look how many different ways they explain the same exact job position.

I wish if I wasn’t going to be back for second sit down with the business they would tell me to kiss their ass on my way out the door. That’s quite a bit easier to take than the waiting game.

A few jobs sounded like a good entry-level Public Relations jobs, until I read it paid 7 dollars an hour. Maybe I am just being to picky. I feel that I shouldn’t have to take a pay cut. Something else will come up and its better to be patient than to accept a job that pays lower than a supposed best friend lying to you about coming to a college graduation party. Okay getting paid 7 bucks an hour isn’t THAT low, but you get my point.

It’s a nice day out, and in the past it would been another beautiful summer day at the start of the season for me a student. I mean Summer of 2003 is still an infant who knows what fun there is to be had? However this summer I will be driving down the road to a better job, inching my way along in a crowded highway filled with equally clueless sheep.

No comments: