Wednesday, September 03, 2003

"I hate the sun with a passion. I don't know what it is about rainy miserable days that make me so damn happy, but I absolutely loathe the sun." ------ Dan K. Hemphill


"What Summer?"


Well this summer was certainly different for me. It was the first summer that I had a girlfriend which allowed me to do things that would be considered strange if I did it alone or gay if I did it with one of my supposed heterosexual friends. I honestly can say I had a fun time at the Amish Market, and enjoyed BUILDING A BEAR. Liza also managed to reintroduce me into the video game world. Of course I stick to the more silly gamecube type games and the sport games Liza hates. It was a good of time as any to help Mario save the world since it rained more days than South Jersey has diners. We had a lot of fun this summer together.


For some reason it just never really felt like summer though. Maybe it was the fact that we had very few heat waves. Maybe I spent too much time answering the same 10 questions in my dead end depressing job. Maybe it was the dismal weather that kept me from going to the beach more than once and only managing to get into my pool a handful of times. Perhaps it’s the fact that the crew is on life support, and only seem to live off people returning to town. From Steve’s brief return to South Jersey before ultimately defecting to the evil North Jersey, Price the War Veteran, Royce who came out of no where to return to the ever popular Mosco returns that never come close to the hype. Once or twice a month Ryan would show up. He seemingly had 24 hour practice and gigs all summer long and disgust for crew members that would rival Dan K.


Some summer standards were there. I mean Lima Beanz sat around and refused to work, nothing says summer like Lima Beanz being off of work 24/7. I can't blame the weather makes you want to sleep all day and not do anything.

I think I recently realized what it was though. When the summer ends for me now it just ends. There is no change of pace, no more back to school, nothing to break up the mundane routine passing of each day. Just the same, even if I had landed a descent job by now, the change of the seasons mean nothing more than what the trees look like when your speeding past them to go to work. At best the indicate what you have to wear, and what sporting events you can catch on tv for the little bit of free time you allow yourself.

Luckily for all of us humanity might come to an end soon. Scientists think a Meteor will hit earth in 2014 and if it hits us just about right the Earth will be destroyed for the most part. I wonder if its overcast in purgatory.

No comments: