Wednesday, May 12, 2004

"Soak It Up"

"Soak It Up"

Sure I picked the Devils in the first round, but honestly that was against my gut reaction. You see when it comes to picking the Flyers I over compensate for my basis that I know is in me. I know almost no one will believe that, but when it looked as though the Flyers were going to meet the Devils in the first round I told Drew at Sharkey’s that I figured it was the best shot they had to beat the Devils in a long time since Scott Stevens wouldn’t be playing who means more to the team than anyone. I also mentioned that if the Devils were bounced out by the Flyers (which obviously they were) the seeding of the teams in the first round would ultimately benefit the Flyers as long as there was the typical upset in the west. There was an upset when the Flames toppled the Redwings, and you could argue the same in the first round when the Sharks sent the Blues packing. Now I am very surprised that the Boston Bruins aren’t going skate to skate against the Flyers, but that just makes the cards fall even more in the Flyers favor. Everything is falling into place.

In addition to the teams that could give the Flyers trouble bowing out in the west the Flyers have pretty much filled up my entire imaginary checklist that is needed for every cup team.

A. Over Coming Adversity : So many things on the level that happened to the Flyers would have derailed teams from the past. They Flyers lost lots of key players for long stretches and over came it. They ousted the Devils when people are used to the other way around
B. Great legendary stories to go along with the quest for the cup. Exs: The hit on Kappy, the Captain redeeming himself and playing like a man possessed, Robert Esche, the blow out game, the OT winner by JR, JR almost having to retire, No Rico, etc.
C. Great goaltending. Without a doubt Esche has been amazing to this date.
D. Hungry players. They have enough hungry players to devoid the Country Style Buffet of food
E. Experience: The have plenty of warriors


Most years I have to figure out what is going to stop the Flyers from winning a cup and hope they do something to over come them. Now I honestly can’t think of anything that can stand in their way this close for THIS team of players to not have a parade. I really don’t I said at the start of the series (despite after 2 years of saying look out for them) that the Bolts are just too green and haven’t battled enough as a team to win a cup. Everyone fears Tampa but I don’t at all and think the Flyers could easily put this away in 5 games, 6 at the most. They almost won game 1 but had some odd bounces, and game 2…well we all know how that went.

I am not officially calling the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup but my confidence level that the Philly drought will end soon is around 90 percent. I honestly don’t see the Flames or the Sharks being a big threat. Of course the Flyers have to get out of this round to even ponder that so lets not get ahead of themselves. All I am saying is soak it in, because this is very likely the prelude to a moment for all us Philly Sports fans. in It will particularly great our mid 20’s or younger who have waited a literally a life-time. Live in the moment because if they win the Cup you are going to want to relive this time in your life forever. You will telly our kids about it. Or at least your friends kids. Maybe Smarty Jones ripped open a black hole or something running so fast that he managed to lift the curse of the Philly choke. Oh and it would be so awesome to get another cup before a Super bowl.

No comments: