Thursday, June 03, 2004

"Mountains Out of Cherry Hills, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Discounted Beer"

If you haven't seen the story yet, I guess I should fill you in. The Coastline in Cherry Hill (where Price's wife works. I heard she was actually on ACTION NEWS about this. Wonder if she will return phone calls for a comment for Tucker's World) is being taken to court by some dude who thinks lady's night is discrimination. Read this:


"The case began in June 1998, when a man complained to the state after he was required to pay a $5 cover charge on Ladies Night at the Brace Road business, while women entered for free. Men also paid full price for drinks, while women received a discount."----from the Courier-Post

Note to Crew Blog Readers Some Material Not Posted on the Comments at that site is after the repeat.

Our legal system should be jack ass proof. Just like when radar zappers used to go off when driving through fast food places. It just something that shouldn't happen.

Come on do honestly think this person was being or felt discriminated against? Please. What is next axing discounts for seniors at ShopRite? Banning give-a-ways at Phillies games for kids? Under that idiotic logic you might as well.

Please this is a PROMOTION not DISCRIMINATION! Men benefit from having nights (usually the traditional off nights) to bring women in.

The courts don't need to be be tied up with this garbage. If this jackass really wanted to make a point why couldn't he try to lower car insurance for males in the state of the NJ?

This makes a mockery of the judicial system and our state.

How could he possibly get money out of this? I really hope not. He is clearly doing this to get rich, and it will just make lawsuits like this more common.

Lady's night is a good thing, that isn't meant to turn guys away. Its total bull.

This guy and his stinking lawyer should be tossed in the Cooper River. We should all be so lucky to live this man's life when this is his biggest problem in life actually having to spend money while going out.

The 2nd thing that went through my head when I heard this story after thinking that his guy is a jackass, was I wonder what Drew thinks. I thought to myself, even Drew couldn't defend this guy. Sadly he seems as though he is going to defend him.

Come on Drew this is just wrong.

"The local nightclub owner vowed Wednesday to fight a state decision that his Ladies Night promotion discriminates against men.

"I'm going to appeal it because it's wrong," said Chris Mourtos, who runs the Coastline bar and restaurant. "I'm outraged.""-------also from the Courier-Post

Price we should make up T-shirts with some clever sayings on it to stick it to this Garden State if it goes any farther.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has to be one of the most frivolous lawsuits in recorded history. Can someone name a bar the does not have a "ladies night?"
Come on now, give me a break! What is he going to do, sue all the bars? The bar is just trying to promote business by attracting the female cliental so, who gives a rats ass. This loser has to man up and deal with it, just like every one else. Ladies night is a win-win situation, Women drink cheaply and the guys get to see some eyecandy on a tuesday night.
- Rick

Unknown said...

Once again, Keith, this is a legal issue, stating a legal question, which means that the resolution, whichever way it goes, must be grounded in law. I said on CrewBlog that I wanted to see a legal opinion in the case, because that's the only way you can judge these things. I don't know what New Jersey statutes or constitutional provisions might apply to this question. I don't know what precedents there are in this area. In short, I don't know what the law is. Neither do you, as it happens, but you never let that stop you before.

But I can tell just from reading your post and Jay's post that this isn't a frivolous case. This jackass, and he is a jackass (funny how you tell people I "defended" him but you omitted that part), has at least stated a reasonable claim of gender discrimination.

If you even give a damn about the actual legal issue involved, I'll tell you that it's different for auto insurance. Male drivers get into more accidents than female drivers, and therefore are a higher risk to insure, and therefore the higher price of insurance is justified. What's the justification for charging men more for drinks?

Anonymous said...

By Ed Greene

I look at the concept of ladies night as a way for society to make-up for the pay discrepentcies between the sexes.

Anonymous said...

By Ed Greene

I look at the concept of ladies night as a way for society to make-up for the pay discrepentcies between the sexes.

keith said...

But this is a promotion. No one is getting hurt by this. Seriously would Children give a-ways and discounts for the elderly fall under this too? What about discounts at the Ritz for College students? Is that being unfair to the poor?

It isn't like the Coastline is the only place providing beer. Hell the same night he can go up to the Pennent for beat the clock night and everyone for all sexes drink cheap.


Go Flames!

Unknown said...

But all of those reasons, Keith, as much as I agree with them, are reasons why it's dumb to have filed the lawsuit. I'm with you on that, and I'm with you on this guy being a jackass.

But, as a matter of fact, charging men and women different prices is discrimination. There's no getting around that. So, the burden shifts to the bar to explain why they're doing that, and according to the state regulatory agency that made this decision (I think that's who it was, rather than a court, per se, but I'm not certain), they don't have a legally permissible explanation.

The answer is quite simple. The NJ Legislature can pass a bill carving out an exception to the non-discrimination law that allows for "ladies' night" type promotions. Unless, of course, the ruling is based on some (state or federal) constitutional provision. In that case, it'll be trickier, and there's probably nothing that can be done.

NJ is not the first state to have done something like this. Not that that makes a difference, really, but it's interesting to note.

Note: I came off a little angry in my last comment, and I didn't mean to. My apologies.

Anonymous said...

I amin favor of taking away give-aways form kids at Phillies games, they give away some pretty cool shit that I would like, they sould give it to all the fans...or just me.

Also men may get in more accidents but women cause all of them, women should not be allowed to drive, period.

J

keith said...

I think it should be like satire protects making people in washington say stuff they really didn't. That is really just my point that a little fine print should be added some place because their is lapse of logic here.