Friday, June 11, 2004

"Tucker Gets a Brand New Ride"

Well this might be a little late to blog about, but for those of you who don't know THE TEMPO retired this past Saturday.

I rode that car from my first year of CCC through Rowan, my internship, two jobs and many years. It was the car that drove me around during the crazy election of 2000, 9/11, to my graduation, to meet Liza at her work for the first time, took me on various trips to the beach, and really was the car for a lot of my formative years for whatever that is worth.

However, the TEMPO was starting to pudder more and more and I knew it was time to send the TEMPO into retirement. So we parted ways last weekend and I was lucky enough to get the same amount of money I paid my brother for it several years ago. Ironically my brother is on at least his 2nd car since than.

Now the whole process of getting a car is about equivalent for most people to going to 10 Dentists in one day since I am highly disinterested in cars and it is just generally a painful experience. I don't know if there is something wrong with me being a guy and all, but cars never interested me in the least. Just not a car guy.

If I walked out my door and one friend (lets say Rob) said:
"Hey Keith there is a giant ant carrying a really big crumb across your front lawn!"

..and Dan K said

"Check out this Viper!"

I can't honestly say I am checking out the Viper first. It is also likely I might even tell others who weren't there about the ant before the car. Anyway I ended up getting '04 Ford Focus. It's pretty sweet, but I still can't find the damn thing in parking lot.

It feels fairly cool to drive a new car which I already managed to put close to 200 miles on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have bought a Lancer Evo or at least a Scion xB. Unless you're buying a Mustang Cobra, don't even bother thinking about getting a Ford. It's too late now though. It would seem that you like Fords.

By the way, your analogy of car buying and visiting 10 doctors in one day doesn't make any sense. Having read it over a few times, it made even less sense. Could you explain that one please?

keith said...

Perhaps the proper line should have been the visit to car dealership is about times as bad it is for most people going to the dentist. Most people hate a visit to the Dentist, and put it off as long as possible, much like I did about getting a new car.

However, you figure seeing 10 Dentists in a row working on your teeth would be some what the same amount of time that I spend at the dealership. Where as one trip would have been over fairly quickly but a good 10 hours or so doing something for your own good but against your will would be a good comparison.

Don't get me wrong I love my car. I also got lucky that my salesman was really mellow, but most car salesman are way too pushy. So the fact that I got a car that I earned is awesome, but the actual process which involved people asking me, showing me, and wanting me to drive various cars is just not all that fun for a guy like me.


Everyone one of those cars would be just awful for me. Because people would always want me to pop the hood and show the engine. They would ask me countless questions about the car that I couldn't answer. People would stop in the parking lot and stare at my car.

I wanted exactly what I got. A car that everyone simply says this is a nice car when they get in it. They look around at the interior and thats about it. Occasionally they will comment on the drink or pen holder which I am happy to answer questions about. They may also question me about the dashboard and I am capable of fielding those questions too.

On a totally unrelated note Duke and I went to the mall tonight to get an autograph from former Flyer Sami Kapanen who just retired from the NHL. I was looking forward to it all day, since I was really hoping a good turn out might make him change his mind. Also it would be my last chance to meet him, one of my fav. current Flyers.

However they were charging 25 bucks for his autograph. Jeesh. Maybe Super Mario, but not Kappy! 25 bucks? Maybe if he just won a cup, or the money was going to charity. I guess the money was going to the fat dude sitting along side of him. I don't know. What a joke. We just walked away.


HOw could some one in sport of hockey that is currently struggling for fans have the arrogance to charge 25 bucks for his autograph? Right off the B-list in the NHL no less. Kappy is the Weasel of the week in my book.