Wednesday, December 22, 2004

"Best Christmas Movie Moments"

Does anyone have any?

1. There are so many from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation,but if I had to pick one I would go with the scene where the tree is set on fire. The fact that we don't actually see it is what makes it funny. There is a shot of the family sitting there, then the sound affect and you see what appears to be flames of some sort lighting up the room in the background.

2. The movie A Christmas Story a timeless of a film that has aged very well is almost a flawless comedy is also packed full of goodies. I would have to say I always enjoyed the shot of the parents watching the snow behind the tree at the end of the film. However,as far a moments the entire Santa scene is just classic. The film had such heart with just a pinch of dark humor mixed in. The fact that mall Santa is a jerk, to Ralphie and puts his boot on his face is just priceless. Not to mention the creepy kid; "I like the Tinman!"

3. In It's a Wonderful Life, the scene in which George Bailey goes to see Mary when she returns from college. The chemistry between them is so good. Not to mention the scene at the bar when he has a break down.

There are a ton more, from these three movies alone. Let's even include short cartoon specials like the Grinch, Frosty, Garfield, Rudolph etc. Im short on time,but why not get the ball rolling here.

9 comments:

Jenna said...

I love the movie White Christmas. I love that they are in Vermont and it is like 60 degrees and they want to do something special for their old General (from WWII) who now owns an inn that isn't doing so well b/c the weather is too warm, so they put on a show. At the end Danny Kay and Bing Crosby are dressed as Santa's on stage with Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen (dressed as Mrs. Claus') with little kids singing and dancing and someone opens up the doors behind the stage and it is snowing and a horse drawn sleigh rides by. Sappy I know, but I love it.

keith said...

I have only seen that one like once or twice.

As for It's a Wonderful Life it is as every bit funny as it is sappy. I also seem to think that people over look some of the darker tones of the film. I mean it is a film about being sucidal and Mr Potter does get away with basically stealing 8k.

Unknown said...

As Phil pointed out on Terminus, the suicide theme is badly muddled. George wants to kill himself to avoid the humiliation and legal consequences of losing the 8 grand. Clarence shows him how awful the world would have been if he had never existed, and he changes his mind. But that completely misses the point of why he wanted to kill himself.

First of all, I don't think suicide results in reasing your very existence, so the fact that you did great things in the past is no reason not to end your life now. Second, other than making George feel better about himself, Clarence didn't do anything to address the actual problem that made George want to kill himself.

It is a funny movie, though, you're right, and I felt good watching it. I don't mean to harp on it so much, cause I like it, but I do think it's over-rated.

keith said...

I thought the whole point was Clarance wanted to say things ARENT THAT BAD. He still thought he was going to jail at the end of the film and was pleased as punch after he realized how dumb it would be to kill himself.

keith said...

WHERE IS LIMA BEANZ?

Anonymous said...

I gotta go with the first Die Hard movie when Hans (Alan Rickman) finds a dead terrorist pal in the elevator and reads aloud what McClane (Bruce Willis) wrote on his shirt: "Now I have a machine gun too. Ho, ho, ho." (Rickman has such an awesome voice) Best of all, said dead terroriost sported a Santa hat.

Call me twisted, but Die Hard is one of my favorite Christmas movies. [TL]

Anonymous said...

has something for everyone. Come on by and check it out soon Enjoy. :)

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog keith. I was searching for information on personalized Christmas cards and came across your post - not quite what I was looking for related to personalized Christmas cards but very nice all the same!

We're all getting ready for Christmas and I've just put the finishing touches to my new site specially for kids, or rather their parents and relatives. You can go there and get Santa to send a really nice personalized letter to a youngster. It's great fun! If you have a moment, perhaps you'd enjoy taking a look: Letter from Santa .

Well, a merry Christmas to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog keith. I was searching for information on personalized Christmas stockings and came across your post - not quite what I was looking for related to personalized Christmas stockings but very nice all the same!

We're all getting ready for Christmas and I've just put the finishing touches to my new site specially for kids, or rather their parents and relatives. You can go there and get Santa to send a really nice personalized letter to a youngster. It's great fun! If you have a moment, perhaps you'd enjoy taking a look: Letter from Santa .

Well, a merry Christmas to you and yours!