Tuesday, February 15, 2005

breaking news.........

ITS OVER;BETTMAN CANCELS SEASON

Despite an even bigger move to lower the cap by the NHLPA late last night said to be around $49 million Gary Bettman decided to tell them to pound sand and said $42.5 million or nothing. The NHLPA finally budged on their salary cap, and Bettman thanked them by arrogantly standing his ground.

Now besides the obvious with a lack of a season hurting the fanbase, this just awful. I highly doubt that NHLPA will even put the cap back on the table now that there is nothing to lose for awhile.

So it roughly comes down to 6.5 millon dollars they couldn't get on board with. Bettman is trying to spin it, but the truth seems to be clear.

I said all along despite maybe being a little to soft on the owners, that I thought the bottom line was that many owners simply want out. That perhaps Bettman was bluffing. Besides all he needs is 8 people to go against this and its a lockout. I don't think Bettman ever thought they would give back with a cap this late in the game. HOwever, its clear to me that he was going to do nothing to save the season.

So, now the blame went from the players who were dumb enough to never ever even consider a cap ( the concept is highly reasonable, the amount is arguable)which is why we are in this mess. Now the shift goes to to Bettman. The NHLPA leaped forward, Bettman took half a baby step forward. I can't blame ALL the owners, because I doubt Comcast and the Flyers wanted the cap that low. As long as 8 teams, so no way thats it.

Now plans to save the next season is underway. What a mess. Hockey will live on in Duke and my loser's season, and my seasons at Lizas. Somehow the playoffs might not be the same. That doesnt mean that I don't think my friends should throw a party or parade if I win the cup with either the Flyers (my season) or Vancover (the loser season).

Bettman and Goodenow should be shoe-ins for the hall of fame. As the men who killed hockey.

No comments: