Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Better Late Than Never"

So a few weeks ago I was lucky to get a wingbowl ticket at the last second. Yeah, I know its been almost two weeks, but I promised I would blog about it.

The night started around 2:30 am when I woke up to make it over to my friends place in Pitman. I arrived there around 3:30, and we made it to Philly at 4am.

Now I guess my mind wasn't all there at 3am when I left my house, but I didn't bother to take my gloves. It was about 24 degrees and snowing out. So, yeah that made my hands freeze, and it was hard to drink my beer in the parking lot. We stood in the parking lot for about 2 hours or so pre-gaming.

My friend's friend only have punching bag gloves for me. Despite the fact that they had the fingers cut out, it was better than nothing. Although, I clearly appeared to be looking for trouble all morning because they are punching gloves after all.

Our seats were behind the action, but we had to wait till about 7am to start drinking again, because of some stupid Philly law about not selling beer before 7am. Anyway, we were all pretty much feeling good.

Girls were flashing like crazy, but its illegal to show it on the big screen. So, you had to see them in the crowd or hope to god that a hot girl in your section was drunk enough and hated their father enough to show her bare chest to strangers.

Sadly though the girl in our section never showed us everything and was a bit of a skank. It was The best view I got were middle aged over weight women. So, yeah I guess our seats werent that great after all.

The thing that you must learn if you go to WingBowl is the the security guards will break up crowds and make the girl that is putting on the show sit down. So, just stay in your seat gentlemen. If you make a crowd, they make the girl stop and make you all sit down. Of course there wasn't much regard for rules or laws at Wing Bowl. From smoking in public places to, throwing objects onto the stage, and I would imagine under age drinking. Who cares, its Philly, its wing bowl.

The winner was one of the pros again this year, which prompted El Wingador to come out of retirement for next year. I just hope its not like when Jordan or Mario came back and were just a shell of their former self. I really hope El Wingador plays the way we remembered him when he left the sport of fat people eating wings.

The actual event was over in what seemed like a flash. It was hard to hear the people talk because the speakers in the WATCH OVER YOU center suck big time.

The after party was at Finnageans Wake in Philly. Yeah pretty much drinking all morning long. They had a buffet for like 6 bucks, and since they felt really sorry for my drunk friendthey let him eat for free.

Now he kept saying he wanted to go to strip club. I was pretty indifferent, but since my friend hooked my up with the ticket, I told him anywhere he wanted to go was fine with me. The other dude had a girlfriend and no real interest in going to a strip club and wasting his money. Eventually we talked down to one. However, my poor friend was flagged in the parking lot. I thought to myself I have never seen anyone ever flagged in a parking lot in my life. Not to mention the fact that I would only have been working for 3 hours normally.

So back to the bar we went. It got a lot crazier in there, contestants were t here and even former Eagle Hugh Douglas who was part of the Wing Bowl broadcast team. HUgh was giving free beer and t-shirts out. But at that point I was pretty much done. It was pretty much all dudes in there and I already at like two meals and was getting rid of my buzz.

So, my friend thought he caught his 2nd wind and fired us up to got to another strip club, this time he was going to "act sober" and everything was going to be "Cool". About 20 mins later he was sleeping in the car out could. At this point me and other dude kept trying to wake him up, and than we just started talking smack to see if he would wake up. Nothing. We pulled into the parking lot and considered waking him up. But he was out cold.


By 2pm I was napping with blurry memories of guys with wing sauce on their face, women flashing, and wondering how much longer I could have gone being outside without fingers falling off.


I was thankful to go again and every red blooded south jersey male should experience Wing Bowl once in their life. I plan on going for that hat trick myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD! THE RAIN! THE FREEZING RAIN! THE SLEET! THE SNOW! THE ICE! THE WIND! THE ROADS! THE POWER IS OUT! PLEASE SHOW US MERCY!

Anonymous said...

nobody cares