Thursday, February 15, 2007

"Don't Let the Door Hit Your Ankle on the Way Out"


The Peter Forsberg saga has come to and end tonight. Peter skated with his now former teamates before the Flyers/Leafs game tonight. But, by the drop of the puck Forsberg was MIA. Rumor started right away that he was traded and heading out of town.

By the first intermission it was confirmed that only the NHL needed to sign the paper work and Peter would be on the next flight out of here. The Flyers captain has been traded to the Nashville Predators

Apperently the Flyers agreed to trade Peter Forsberg to the Nashville Predators for Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent and two draft picks. The first pick is a 1st round pick for this year. The 2nd rumored to be a 3rd round pick that the Flyers will only get if Peter stays with Nashville in the off season.

That is right the saga and drama might be over for now, but Peter could sign back with Philly during the summer. But, he could also retire and leave the game behind. Forsberg will be on a really good team now and have a chance to bring another team the cup. It would be Nashville's first ever cup.

An emotional week for the players and fans coming on the rout of the Red Wings for Keith Primeau night, and having their one time savor of the team basically abandon his team. As talented as he was, he was a poor captain. Obessed with his skate problems, he would talk about nothing else but his ankle or his skate. He rarely seemed to offer advice or chew anyone out for their play. WHen the team got down he would just drop his head on the bench and look down at the floor, or perhaps his skates. Guess thats why Sakic was always the captain. I am not sure Peter ever felt comfortable with his role.

Rumors for the new CAptain or Mike Knuble and Sami Kapanen both who signed on for a few more years with the club.

I hope these prospects pan out for the Flyers, and I guess you can't argue that they had to get something for Forsberg. But at this point, I would not want to see him return. He left his team in trumoil and I don't see why anyone would want to accept him back as the captain.From what I hear some players have quietly said if he goes, he shouldn't bother coming back. Of course others, such as Gags would likely want him back. I wonder what he said when he left the ice for warm ups.
"Have fun sucking guys, I am going to go play in the playoffs and try to get another cup!"


The Flyers will really have a ton of free money under the cap now if they decide not to bring Peter back. I know I have to pick a 2nd team now that the FLyers wont be in the playoffs. It will likely be the Penguins, and I can assure you I will be rooting for Nashsville to go out in 4 games the first round.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a little harsh. He didn't have leadership potential but did he really want to be "C"? He was healing and just getting back to hitting his stride. I think the Flyers picked up two good prospects.

BTW nice pic of the back of his head.

keith said...

It was supposed to be him peacing out. Best picture I could find of that.

He could have turned it down Gagne did it once(although it was mainly out of respect to Primeau who still could have came back). Rico gave it back cause he couldn't handle it, and Hatcher, well he was just a temp.

I honestly never really was a fan of giving it to players who just put on the jersey. Hatcher was just a fav of Hitch, and Forsberg was supposed to lead by example.

The Next captain will likely be Kappy, thought maybe Mike Knuble, but now he is out for the season. Kappy just signed on for two more years.

Anonymous said...

I kind of figured that, but I wasn't sure. Also I did see a replay of that hit. Ow, I think I got a concussion just watching that.

Jenna said...

I agree that this is a little harsh. I'm not sure Forsberg asked for the trade. My theory is that they are lending him to Nashville, kind of like when Pittsburgh lent Recchi to Carolina for the cup win. I have a feeling that if he doesn't retire he will be back in Philly next year. I don't think he abandoned the team. Also, I think it was pretty big of him to not through other players under the bus when it comes to talking to the press. Forsberg isn't Peyton Manning. He takes the blame and I think that is pretty big of him.

keith said...

Yeah he talked to the press, but I dont think he did enough with pulling players aside and giving them leadership.

Its just so frustrating and depressing that this is the way it ends.

I don't if he will be back or not, he may fall in love with playing with all the talent out there in Nashville.

Jenna, would you want Peter back?

If he comes back he certainly should not be named captain, but I think the Flyers wanted him to attract free agents this summer. They are going after Scott Gomez and a few forwards on Buffalo.

Also, I dont think he asked for the trade either, the team wanted to sign him for 3-4years, he didnt want to give them an answer. The thought of him retiring or not signing scared the Flyers so they got what they could.

Hope the prospects turn out.

As for the hit, geesh would have thought knuble would have been the one more messed up after that. Great game though, best game this season. I think Jagr almost cried they were hitting him so hard. Little baby.