Wednesday, April 09, 2003

"History Seen on TV!"

This morning I watched images on tv that will likely go down in history. The image of Iraqis and US soilders tearing down a famous Saddam figure that loomed over Baghdad. Its one of those events where most people stopped what they were doing to watch the events. Of course it helped I was off today and slept till 10:15

Seeing these images made me feel better about what we are doing over there. From the images of the Iraqis riding around town on the head of the statue of Saddam to the cheers for our soilders. There were even Iraqis on tv all day praising Bush. Its odd seeing them say that. Granted people still hate us over there. But I am starting to wonder if my being on the fence for so long had to do with living in the often blinded liberal state of New Jersey.

As people cheer on heros in the NHL and NBA playoffs don't forget about the heros in a different uniform on the other side of the globe. Already I have seen interest fade in friends of mine, whether someone angrily flips through the coverage disgruntled because of their shows being pre-emptied. Or the decrease in the war being a subject of conversation among friends.

Hopefully the worst is behind us, but how would I know? Soon it will be time to stablize the region.

No comments: