Sunday, November 02, 2003

“Blinded By the Light”

It doesn’t bother me so much that SUVs guzzle gas, but their insanely BRIGHT head lights irk me.
So the other night I was driving to my girlfriend’s who lives roughly 20 minutes from my house. It was dark out being nighttime and all and a fairly raining night. Then behind me comes an SUV.

The head lights on this sucker are so bright that I can actually see the glare off the puddles on the street behind in my mirror. Now I know it is supposed to be a “utility” vehicle and all but is it necessary for them to illuminate the car of the motorist in front of them. Christ what they want me to do put on shadow puppet show on for them or something?

I recall when I first started driving one of the worst things you could do as a driver is pass a car, or be behind a car with your high beams on. Now what difference does it make when if the normal headlight of an SUV severely blinds me and has on occasion actually given me a headache. Now I know that I can turn my mirror so that is blocks out the insanely ridiculous headlights, but I never like to that that because it messes up my reference to how much a distance that this soccer mom as on me. Nor does it stop my car from looking like the Clark Griswold’s home.

Now I really don’t know the practical reason for such bright headlights. Where the hell are this SUVs going? I mean this light is so bright that sometimes on a dark road I am checking for little green men and missing time when it first comes up behind me.


I know I am supposed to be impressed by the power of their vehicles but is it necessary for them blind me to the point that my retinas are detached by the time I get to my girlfriends house? I was lucky I could tell the difference between Liza and her dog Denver by the time I get to her home, because I could see was a bright light in front of me.

So my advice is to drive about 25 MPH if an SUV is behind you in two lane road. You will likely irate them and perhaps they will pass you. If any of my readers have people in their lives with SUVs get them headlight covers for approaching holiday season get them “head light” covers. If anyone doesn’t know what they are they look really cool but pretty much render your headlights useless.

No comments: