Sunday, August 08, 2004

"All is Quiet on the Hockey Front"

Well both sides met earlier this week in regards to the possible work stoppage in the NHL. So naturally I flipped wildly through the sports section of all 3 papers the next day to find out what happened. I couldn't even find one article.

The only reports that I get are really vauge ones that they both looked the issues again. Nothing, about if they are any closer or father apart. The days are getting shorters and Summer is starting to wind down, which means that is almost the point of no return for the NHL to get an entire season in at this point. Everyone covering the NHL seems to be filled with doom and gloom, and since most players have already made alternate plans for this fall I can understand why. The best article I have written is on NHL.com, but I would prefer a third party source to get through the spin and to be more honest.


The parts are seemingly farther appart than David Letterman's two front teeth, however I have only one shred of hope to hold on to. The Flyers first reqular season game is on October 13th which is my birthday. Is this a sign from the hockey gods that little thing is going to be alright?

Out of all my readers that follow the NHL out there do you really think there will be no season at all?


*****TUCKERS WORLD LABOR DAY CUP UPDATE!*****

Brant 25 points

Ed 20 points

Tom 15 points


Here is a chance to earn some more points.

Name every NHL team that was as one point in the WHA. This will earn you a whopping 35 points to take the lead in one shot! It will also some of the people who have already scored to start running away with it. In order to get all 30 points you must list what team they were when they enetered the leauge and what team they are now, since many of them have moved.

Also 15 points will be rewared to who can post on here the name of the hockey league that folded a few years back.

...and if that is not enough to sweeten the deal in regards to Tucker and the Fish article whoever can write briefly what is strange about the way Flounders look gets 15 points! Another 20 points if you can desribe to me the best method not including actual bait used to catch a floudner. Feel free to answer this one here, or post it in the Tucker and the Fish article.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flounders are wierd looking fish. They have both of their eyes on one side of thier body as they lie flat on the bottom of the water. It is not a very symetrical look to them, so it looks near retarded with 2 eyes on the dark, camoflaged side, and none on its white underbelly. Hmmm, you did say brief, Meh!

I failed hockey history in preschool so I depend on google for these things. I came up with Continental Hockey League (1972 - 1986). Heres the link http://officialgamepuck.com/Continental%20Hockey%20League/ContinentalHistory.htm

keith said...

YOu didnt post your name so you havent got any points till I know who you are! I will give you the flounder points.

Sorry, that was not the league I was looking for. This league folded less than 5 years ago. Lots of these teams actually went into the AHL (American Hockey League) where the Phantoms play.

post back so I can give your points for the flounder post. Yes I was looking for the fact the fact that they have their eyes on one side of the face. Now I am still looking for the method commonly down to catch them.I will give you a hint and to make it clear I am talking about from a boat no surf fishing.

Anonymous said...

Doh! I fergot me moniker! Good ol' Tom, knows about the freaky fish, but obviously not about hockey. Do I get half points for being close? It would seem that there are multiple answers if I found one and it isn't the one you were looking for.
I take it that explosives aren't the way to catch these fish? Toss a grenade in, and wait till they float up? It might work, and be lots of fun to spray the sky with water and fish guts.

Anonymous said...

the international hockey league, is my guess. Liza

Jenna said...

My doctor is good friends with the Chiropractor for the Flyers and he said that things are a lot better than they seem. Jay says otherwise but who knows.

Anonymous said...

Four teams came from the WHA:

The New England Whalers, who moved to Hartford and later became the Carolina Hurricanes.

The Quebec Nordiques who became the Colorado Avalanche

The Winnipeg Jets who became the Phoenix Coyotes, and

The Edmonton Oilers, who remain in Edmonton.

The last league to fold was the IHL.

Also, the best way to catch flounder is with trolling nets. That is why there are such strict size limits on them in the Delaware Bay.

-Brant

keith said...

Brant 100 points
Tom 35
Ed 20
Jenna 20
Liza 15

for the record even though mikestock has been delayed since jenna and brant were nice enough to call price they each get 20 points. I am also giving Brant points for the Flounder question.

Mainly since I was so vauge about. The best way for fishing in a small boat. You know us non-commerical fisherman is to left the boat drift so your lines drag across the bottom. Flounder are bottom feeds and they tend to just chill till food comes to them.

Anonymous said...

sorry, i would have given that method of fishing, but I thought you said "without bate". I have done a lot of flounder fishing. One of my favorite fish to eat. Kudos on your catch.

Also, try a little Old Bay Seasoning on your corn. I know it gets away from the purist thing, but it is good.

I am running away with Tucker's points.

-Brant