Monday, October 11, 2004

"Two in a Week"

I was going to write a little something about the passing of Rodney Dangerfield and maybe just post some of his really funny one line jokes, but sadly now I have to write about two actors I liked. Even though he didn't really like TV and Film nearly as much as standup he left us with three really funny films. Back to School, Caddyshack and I would even include Ladybugs despite the fact that it is clearly inferior to the other two. Has anyone ever seen Easy Money ? I want to know if its worth renting off netflix or not. In the 1990s he mostly did straight to video films like the Godson which was pretty bad so I imgine his others were worse. This came after his last movie in theaters Meet Wally Sparks flopped.

Anyway, I loved his comedy and always made a point to watch him when he showed up on Leno. He was at his best just telling jokes. CHevy Chase said on the Caddyshack DVD, that the first day of shooting Dangerfield was really upset after his first take, because he said he was bombing and wasn't funny at all. He had to be told that no one was laughing at him because they would all ruin the shot! Most the comics who weren't trying to keep from laughing their butts off were taking notes watching the legend spew out soon to be legendary lines.

Obivously, the other passing is Chirstopher Reeve. Now anyone who knows me even a little bit know that I really like the Superman Movies. Mainly, because they bring my back to my youth, but also because I liked Reeves verision of Superman, and them movies helped put me on the road to being the movie buff that I am today.

Reeve was mostly type-casted after making a name for himself in the movie series. However, I am glad he never got all bitter about it and embraced people knowing him as Superman. In order to be taken more seriously he tried to go against type playing a gay priest once. He also showed up in the whacky Nosies Off (I haven't seen it since I was 12, but thought it was funny then), Street Smart opposite a rising Morgan Freeman, and the God awful Village of the Damned.

Anyway, Reeve will always be Superman to me. I even liked the way he played Clarke, and many times it was easy as a viewer to forget that he was the same person as Superman. I recall when I had Liza watch Superman III with me a few months ago, she commented that she liked Lana Lang better (as do I) because she liked Clark for Clark, not like Lois who would blow Clark off for Superman. However, they are the same person! Superman was actually playing someone, but Clark always seemed like a real person who was just friends with Superman.

I know some of my friends thought he was "bland" in those movies. However, I would like to point out a few great scenes to show his rang in the series. The first comes in the first film where he slips from the Clark to SUperman voice then back again when he thinks about telling Lois the truth. The 2nd, the scene in III when SUperman becomes evil and has a battle with himself.

I was thinking of launching a feature call franchises on here and disecting some movie series that I am really familiar with..would anyone be interested in that feature? If there is interest since I know more about the Superman movie series than most people. It likely to be a good read for most people.

Anyway, both actors entertained me as a kid as well as an adult and we will missed. I guess its just as well that Reeves is gone, as upbeat as he was it had to suck. He really did alot for people in this condition and got a lot of attention from both canidates. He did a lot for me to make me develop a love for movies. Of course I looked up to him a lot when I was a little kid, but I imagine I am not alone in that.

Hard to believe that Reeve is gone.

Anyone who wants to go back and read about the Superman films, should go here. This dude from England of all places made this really cool site. He helped get the directors cut of the first film released and is now trying to do the same for Superman II. For awhile he even had a shout out to me. I am that much of a nerd.
Everyone hoped and some even though Chris Reeve would walk again, well I would like to think he is able to walk again now, and he is walking a much better place.

***From Superman: The Movie

warden: This country is safe again, Superman, thanks to you.


Superman : No, sir. Don't thank me, Warden. We're all part of the same team. Good night.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Noises Off is hilarious, and Christopher Reeve was great in it. You should rent is as soon as you can, as it also stars John Ritter, another fine actor who died far too soon.

While it's really not representative of his work, my favorite Rodney Dangerfield role is Natural Born Killers.

Anyway, great tribute.

keith said...

Yeah sadly, since I had to write about both actors I left some stuff out I had that was on my mind.

I am glad you chimed in Drew. I was curious if you had from all the research that you do on Oliver Stone had ever came a across a quote to why he decided to cast Dangerfield in such a non-Dangerfield type role. Dangerfield was good in the part. I wonder what made him to do that part since he never had any interest in becoming an "actor" other thant to use a different forum to crack his jokes, and in the 90's for paychecks clearly.

HBO was actually showing Noises Off the other day, but it was the middle so I didn't watch it. When was the last time you actually watched it? I really am afriad to revisit the film and not like in my adult years. I have to ask you, because I am fairly sure you are the only person on Earth other than myself that has actually seen the movie.

I read an article on Reeve today in the Daily News that really pissed me off. They said Reeve starred in Superman and three unmemorable sequels. Okay Superman III and IV were often panned and IV is often considered one of the worst movies ever. However if the guy writing the article had any clue about movies he would know that Superman II is actually considered by many as a superior film to the origiinal. NOt to mention the fact it has one of the most talked about back stories in movie histories with the turmoil that happened behind the scenes, and it's the number one requested title to get the Directors Cut treatment.

Anyway, I only saw like the first half of Street Smart, but and it was pretty good. However, its best remembered for the movie that Morgan Freeman stole from Christopher Reeve.

I was really hoping that the new Superman would have cameos by the cast of the original films series, and obviously Reeve was a the top of the list for that. God knows if the film will ever get made anyway, but it would have been cool.

For the record my choice for Superman would be simply the same an unknown actor. It would also be wise to ink him (and easier) to a contract to make him play the man of steel in at least 2 (ideally 3) of the sequels. Oh, and don't let Richard Lester, Tim Burton or Kevin Smith anywhere near the production. They are both wrong for the project, I read parts of Smith's script and it was awful. Burton is just wrong for the project.

I would love for Donner to take part in the project, but not to direct. He is too old, and its time to give someone else a chance.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't know why Dangerfield was in NBK, but he was great.

I agree with you about getting an unknown to play Superman, and I agree with you about staying away from Burton. I also think he'd be wrong for the project, but I'm still a little curious as to what he would come up with. Don't forget Joel Shumacher... not him either.

I was also looking forward to seeing a Chris Reeve cameo in the new Superman, and I was just thinking about it last week. Man, it just sucks!

Anyway, I saw Noises Off a few weeks ago on HBO. Really, really hilarious. The whole cast is so perfect, and the physical comedy is just amazing. That film had to be very tightly choreographed to get the timing right, and it pays off big time. See it.

keith said...

From what I understand, Burton wanted to make Superman see his powers as a curse. Be more dark and sad. I don't know that just sounds like an awful lot like Batman to me. Superman saw his powers as a gift.

In the scene with young Superman (played by Jeff East, but voiced by Reeve) early in the first film on the Smallville farm bettween him and his dad is on of my favorites of the entire series. Glenn Ford the guy who played Mr. Kent was just terrific, and I wish he had more then his two whole scenes. As much as I liked him I think it works better to kill him off, even though its really sad it gets the movie really rolling.

The scene I was the other day on HBO was the whacky stuff going on backstage.

How stange is it, that the two of us were just talking about the Superman films right before he died. NOt to mention John Kerry mentioned him in the 2nd debate.


Oh,yeah lets put MC G on that list too. Do we need to add anyone else?