Tuesday, November 23, 2004

"Future Movies Mill"

Well I still haven't come up with a good title for this feature on my blog. Any suggestions? Well the basic concept is to pass along movie knowledge of future projects on to my readers.

Steven Speilberg's has really lofty goals for this next film the War of the Worlds based on the Orson Welles radio prank of the 1930's. For some reason this film went from being slated for 2007 to 2005. The film is shooting in North Jersey as we speak (any of my readers up there have any SIGHTINGS?) and they expect it out to kick off the summer season. Thats insane considering the fact that the film is going to be quite special affects heavy. Tom Cruise and Tim Robbins are the only two names connected to this project at this point. I don't quite know what reason they had to rush the production of this film. It will be either a big first or simply a huge turkey.

Steve Martin has a new movie coming out titled Shopgirl. About an older man and younger girl which he directed, writes and starts in opposite Clarie Danes. I never really cared for any of the movies that he wrote, but am a fan of his acting. His other movies include the unmatchable LA Story, and dull Eddie Murphy teaming Bowfinger. The movie originally slated for a holiday release has been pushed off till 2005, because of delays in production.


Early canidates for the crew CHRISTMAS MOVIE CHRISTMAS (to be wrote about more later, if it is even happening this year) are Meet the Fockers and, Life Aquatic... Starring Bill Murray.

George Lucus has said that the upcoming (and last) Star Wars Prequel is going to be the darkest of the entire series. Not a big surprise to me considering how much ground there is to cover to reach the point of the first (er um...4th) film. No word on if Jar-Jar gets his head ripped off or not. I have my fingers crossed though. I heard Jar-Jars voice was inserted in the DVD release of the RETURN OF THE JEDI, but can't confirm that. This of course would mean he doesn't get murdered. Anyway I am sure he will be making these new ones 5 times like the others.

Jurassic Park IV is due out in 2005, yet no director has been officially named to the project. Supposedly the film is in pre-production. Keira Knightley (pirates of the Caribbean) is rumored to have the lead, and Sam Neil is also supposed to return. No word if the War of the Worlds project will delay this film.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will be doing Christmas Movie Christmas this year, as I have every year since 1997. If other people want to come too, that's great, because it's so much more fun that way.

I saw the trailer for Meet the Fockers, and there were no laughs in the audience. It looks like a dud to me. The Life Aquatic looks bizarre to me, but I'll see it if that's what everybody wants. But my preference is still for The Aviator, which looks really good.

How is Spielberg's film based on Welles's radio adaptation, as opposed to being based on the H.G. Wells novel? Is it the New Jersey connection that does it? I don't know enough about the story in any of its versions, so I don't know.

I still say you're under-rating Bowfinger. I put it on at work a couple of weeks ago, the first time I've seen it since it was in theaters, and it's solid.

Anonymous said...

I am with Drew, Meet the Fockers looks horrible, and Life Aquatic looks weird but interesting, but my vote is for The Aviator.

Also Bowfinger is pretty good and L.A. Story is not that bad. And Shopgirl is based on a really well regarded novella written by Steve Martin. I would see it because I really enjoy Steve Martin, he is really smart and can easily stoop down to dick and fart jokes very easily.

As for War of the Worlds it is based on the Welles' book not the radio program, and it is mainly being shot in Bayonne.

J

keith said...

Well I never read the book, but I heard the radio show. It was actually made into a film in the 1950s. I figured it would be a pretty far cry from the book, because of the NJ stuff, plus its going to be mostly CGI stuff I guess.

I had heard Tim Robbins plays a news reporter if this is true it would be more slanted to the Welles verision with him playing the anchor type guy. Of course I am guessing its going to be pretty bad and out there.

Drew, I agree with you Meet the Fockers looks awful. Did anyone see that really unfunny joke with the dog going down the crapper? I dunno maybe the people in the audience were not laughing because they also run that trailer before every movie. I don't know Bette Midler. Looks pretty bad.

The Bill Murray thing is too out there, not mainstream enough for Movie Christmas movie, besides Liza hates me for making her see Lost in Translation.

I couldn't think of the other one. The Leo film. Well the only thing with that is, its just about Howard Hughes movie studio days. What a waste on such a strange cat to make a long movie about one aspect of his life. Whatever.

Can anyone list the Christmas Movie Christmas? I know last year was Big Fish, but I cant for the life of me think of what 2002 was. I think Drew knows them all. Any Given Sunday was '99...

Unknown said...

1997 As Good as it Gets
1998 Elizabeth
1999 Any Given Sunday
2000 Cast Away
2001 Vanilla Sky
2002 Catch Me If You Can
2003 Big Fish

I'm still bitter about 2002. I wanted to see Gangs of New York, and I got shot down. Catch Me If You Can was pretty good, but Gangs was a million times better. So this time, I really want to see the Scorsese/DiCaprio film.

There's also Spanglish and Ocean's Twelve to consider.

keith said...

I wasn't around for Vanilla Sky since I thought you were seeing ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

I was pissed you changed the flick at the last minute. Also I didn't see As Good as It Gets either. I know Ryan, Dustin and I saw an AMERICAN WEREFOLF in PARIS in '97. Nothing like an evil movie for the holidays.

I did see Castway, Any Given Sunday etc...Gangs was a better film, but I guess Catch Me if You Can made most people happy, and it had a christmas theme to it.