Friday, February 25, 2005

"RIP Y-100"

AFTER ALMOST 12 YEARS MODERN ROCK STATION IS DEAD

Next to the gravestones of WDRE and EAGLE 106 now lies Y-100.

No more Preston and Steve.

No more Cathy.

No more Camp Out for Hunger.

No more Y-100 festivals or FEASTIVALS.

No more Bizzarro Files.

No more hailrous Micheal Jackson jokes.

No more YOU GUYS ROCK.

103.9 a R&B/ Hip-hop station is now there the modern rock station used to be. They are (were) owned by Radio One, and they want to "ubranize" their sound. So, now Philly has no modern rock stations. They do have a handful of the "ubranized stations" though. 103.9 will now be black gosspel.

Is there any modern rock stations from South Jersey that I don't know about that I can put into my radio?

After almost 12 years I figured we were safe as far as the modern rock stations getting the rug pulled out from underneath them.

Pretson and Steves morning show wasn't even given the chance to have a finale. Which isn't uncommon in the radio business. Likely out of fear of disgruntled radio talent from breaking FCC laws and simply bashing their soon to be ex-bosses.

Supposedly they are WMMR bound. However not for 6 months. Usually legally they cant work for another station for 6 months.

Truely, a sad day. Since it was the morning show I enjoyed the best. Now in place of them is Moonie & the Pooch. Whoever the hell they are. Im truely upset, and im sure so are lots of other radio listeners.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that my beloved Y-100 has gone the way of the dodo. They were far to young to go. Far too friendly to personalities like Bam Margera, who jumped off a building and into a pine tree, JUST FOR Y-100. If luminaries of our times are willing to go this length to provide content for Y-100, then its loss to the abyss of forgottenness is all the more painfull.
To those responsible for this outrage: BEWARE! Your day of reckoning is nie! You shall see the "urban" market dry up and people clamor for a new modern rock station after suffering from classic rock and whatever they play on B-101 for far too long. BEWARE!!!

Tom T - just recently went to the y-100 website to see what Preston and Steve looked like, and agrees they have faces made for radio. (bodies too)

Anonymous said...

This pissed me off big time. I liked Preston and Steve, Ilistened to them while Stern was on a commercial. There are now only 3.5 listenable FM stations anymore. There is WMMR, WYSP, WMGK and since the hawk moved to 97.5 their signal is as strong as someone screaming out the window as I drive by. This move has officially moved me to satellite radio, Ihope to have it in next weekend. Terrestial radio can go fuck itself.

J

keith said...

I doubt I will get satellite radio anytime soon. However, Y-100's death has offically made me want to consider it.

Seriously, I keep looking for a modern rock station. I know South Jersey has few I never bothered with. I don't think there is any.

How the hell could this happen? AWFUL.

keith said...

Jay


Check out 88.5. Kind of a weak station and they play some strange music. However, they do play some really good music you would never hear on any other station. Most times I don't even know who it is, but its good music.

I think you work far enough south to get the Shark. Its a shore station and if I recall is kind of like the late Y-100.

Anonymous said...

I have 88.5 on my presets but I rarely listen to it. Half the time when I switch to it there is something weird on or a DJ with a low monotone voice is talking and I turn it off. I think that I am on the edge of the shark, so by time I get it in clear I am at work or it does not take long for me to lose it as I am going home. I hate radio.

J

Anonymous said...

My brother told me about y-100 Sat. nite and I didn't believe him. Still can't (boo hoo). Steve Morrison was the funniest person on radio, and certainly one of the smartest. How much "urban" music can one market sustain?? The really stupid part of all this is that all my black friends call this stuff "black music for white people", so you know they're not listening to it. Are there that many wannabes out there (let's hope not)?
Anyway, I recently discovered SoJo, it's around 103 or higher, I think. A little weird to hear actual Jersey traffic, but not too bad as far as music. I also am for the first time considering satellite radio. Here's hoping we all have something decent to listen to in the very near future, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

keith said...

Is that you Dave?