Monday, April 17, 2006

"Sad Day"

For ever since I can remember I have gone to a little produce stand called Bucks on Laurel Road near where I grew up. As a kid I was taken there often by my parents, and years later my parents would become friends with Buck and his wife through a common interest.

The the couple now in their 80's has ran the stand for decades with the help of their kids and the friends of the family. The season would kick off around now this time of year, with flowers followed later by delicious tomatoes, corn and other summer treats.

I was looking forward to this season since my new apartment is not far from my house where I grew up and Bucks was not going to be out of my day after a day at work.

However, I found out this weekend that the Easter weekends that just ended was the finale for Buck Produce. Their daughter is moving to Florida leaving the eldery couple with no one at all to help them with their business.

So, despite the fact they still have a farm, some land, horses the stand will still as empty during 4th of July as it does during the dead of winter.

Truely a sad day.

No comments: