Monday, October 09, 2006

"Oh, Puck Linda Cohn!"

This link here is a hockey article from ESPN's website. I could not disagree with this woman anymore.

She is basically begging the NHL to start the season 3 weeks later and making the season shorter. This would be to appear to the casual fans who usually don't bother to start watching hockey untill after the Super bowl.

I am a die hard fan and follow the wonderful world of hockey all year round. Including the off season free agents moves, and trades.

Yeah, I do agree with her that hockey is a "niche" sport, but behind the fact at work I struggle to find someone to talk hockey with, there is no drawbacks to it. I love my sport, I love everything about it. I don't care about some asshole in the bible belt that doesnt wants to watch college sports all, a bunch of schools he never went to mind you.

I am so sick of people in the NHL and that write about the NHL, saying they should kiss the ass of the casual fan or joe idoit who is watching NASCAR each weekend so they watch the sport and beef up ratings. I am so sick of people trying to change the game and screw the die hard fans to impress the popular kids who are all at the football and baseball parties.

Linda Cohen, you stupid bitch, its dumb ideas like you that resulted in the glowing puck. It the hardon for wanting to be a "big boy sport" that almost ruined the sport. So, what its a niche sport that means its fans are hard core. Attendence was up big time last season. So, team are making money. There isn't NFL money in the TV rights the game, and there never will be. There wont be ever. Get over it. Even if the season is just two weeks, and players get voted off each week.

If you want to stir this wonderful sport back into an iceberg like lock out, than go ahead and keep watering down the game with more commericals and pull more casual fans in. Yeah, go ahead and thumb your nose at all the fans that came back after lockout for a game the loved so much they couldn't stay mad at it.

For me the season starting when it does is just fine. Summer ended, my baseball team is eliminated it's perfect. But this dumbass thoery would have me wait almost another month and have less hockey to watch. All for what? In hopes that I could get a hockey buddy at the watercooler?

I don't hate the casual fan, in fact I welcome him a board when he joins the party half-way through the season or in many cases in the playoffs. I fill him on the story leading up to the greatest playoffs in sports.

Making less games would just give the owners a reason to jack up the prices and put the screws on the real fan base. A month shorter? That is what about 15 games? How about no games when Lost is on? Or if they play they just take an hour break so everyone can watch it?

Linda, maybe Forsberg can some over and cook dinner for a non-hockey watching family during that extra month he will have off? Or Sidney Crosby can show up a frat-houses and teach all the guys doing kegs stands what a blue line is.

Hockey fans become fans by being converted by other fans. Very few of them are just mindlessly flipping channels and say. Hey, the sport on ice I never watched. It was sure nice of them to stat the season later to cater to me. I think I am going to watch!

If all the sports fans the only watch the NFL package and don't know who the hell Alexander Ovechkin is were jumping off the Saddledome roof, would you Linda?

No comments: