Monday, January 01, 2007

"Twenty O Seven"

Mosco wanted to do something different for New Years Eve when he was in town. So, Duke came up with us going to the constitution center for a big bash they throw every year. So, Duke,Mosco, Jay, Jenna, Neil, Sara and Ed went. We hoped on the Patco which is the train that takes you from South Jersey to Philly.

We all had to get suited, up and Mosco and Duke even wore tuxes. It was pretty sweet.

We got there and there was light food, and open bar which was pretty nice. People warned me that the wait would be long to get drinks, but it never was. The only problem is towards the end of the night they started running out of certain stuff. Aside, from that I never had a problem getting drinks really.

Things started off slightly slow, but as we all started drinking. At one point Mosco and I were waiting for drinks with Duke being our go to guy getting our orders. We were going to start roaming around after that since, the party was two floors and had a roof top to hang out on. While we were waiting an amazing hottie who wore dark gloves offered me a spot at the bar to go ahead of her. Now, a much cooler guy would have taken her up on the offer, and ask her what she wanted. I am not that guy, so I told told her my friend was getting our drinks and pointed to Duke. The process was taking a few mins, and I realized I blew it. I thought to myself, I could still squeeze in there and ask her what she wanted but would it be too awkward since I missed my chance. Mosco even realized this the whole time and kept poking me to make a move. I didn't we just walked away.

I than realized for me to not have to kick myself for a few weeks. I needed to find the girl again. So, I went on a quest for her. Mostly fueled by 5 captain and cokes, but also a ton of New Year's Spirit. I have no idea what I was going to say to her, or if she was there with someone or not. But I figured I would try. Mosco eventually saw her and said she was with a guy. After the rooftop fireworks. I passed her as we came off the roof. At this point I realized, if life was like the movies she totally would have been single and we would have found each other at midnight. But life is, well more like life, so I just watched her walk the other way. I was totally at peace with it for some reason. Like I totally lost interest. I guess I if I have a new years resolution it is not to over think things.

2006, was year of rolling with the punches for me. I had to attend 3 funerals too many, and got out of a long term relationship. I don't speak to my ex at all, and never intend to ever again. I figure I am fine, and she can't possibly be any more angry, depressed, and full of hate at life in general than she was when we last talked. But again that is life not the movies, and life just keeps going on. That what 2006 really taught me.

At one point we were all leaning over the wall looking down at the over crowded dance floor below us.

I turn to Duke, and said to him.

"2007, is going to be a great year!"

Of course I had nothing to base this one just in a good feeling I guess. Below us were thousands of strangers living in the moment. I am sure many of them had just as many down, and plenty of them had a lot more downs than I did last year. But, in the end, what can you do? You have no control of things life. People that mean something to you are going to leave you at some point, as you will them. Also, you can't find the right person for you just because you feel like it. But as I sat there with a bunch of friends most of them I have known for years and years. Watching the people below filled with booze and hope for 2007. I thought to myself I really have no idea what 2007 is going to bring me or anyone. But being amongst friends is a pretty damn good start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you gotta be quick on your feet if you want to catch the hotties at the bar.

I'm with you on 2007 being a great year. I can't wait!

I also broke off a long term relationship and found that never talking to them to be the best relationship decision I have ever made. The tendency is to think you can still be friends but that only, as you say, works in the movies. Every now and then I hear something about her that makes me think about her, but by not talking anymore I was able to get over that crap a whole lot faster.

Now, on with 2007!!

Jenna said...

I am kind of touched by your philosophy for 2007. I aspire to be like Tucker!