Sunday, December 31, 2006

"Networks"

A few years ago, there was a big debate that network TV was dead. Cable and HBO along with DVDs and other forms of entertainment had taken over. However in the last few years networks have wisely responded and the reality tv show crazy that isolated many viewers finally died.

Really you could point to ABC who was dead last for awhile, and brought shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives out 3 years ago. They became almost instant hits, and the other networks took note. Fox also had success with shows like 24. Many other networks figured maybe good story telling, good casts and oringinal ideas is what they would need to bring back network tv.

Recently many tv critics actually declared our times right now, a new golden age of telivison. Which is pretty damn exciting. Really there is something for everyone without even having to go to cable channels anymore.

This year, however for me would be the year that tv really changed. For years were told about the convergance of TV and the internet and viewers being more in control of what they watch and when. I was started to doubt that day would come, but by a few weeks into the 2006-07 season it was clear the time had arrived, and telvision would never be the same.

CBS offers almost all of the shows on demand for free, and if you can't find it there simply go to the CBS website the next day and watch your show for free. That way for me, it allowed me to start watching the "The Office" (NBC offers it on Demand for $2 per show though) and I would watch Survior Friday when I got home from work on Demand. Also, it allowed me to watch HIMYM again if I wanted to because CBS leaves it up for a week. FOX also jumped on board with the online demand fad. NBC actually has deleted scenes each week for "The Office"

Even cancelled, shows lived on after they were pulled from the lineup. I never watched the show, but the big budget triller "Smith" is on CBS including quite a few shows that never made it to air. They were also nice enough to put text on there for where the story was going, for espisodes that were never shot.

Now, people talk about the show, but you really have to be careful, because many people don't watch them when they air. You might have to wait a few days in order to ask someone if they though "The Office" was funny last night. Most people don't watch the show live anymore it seems, and eventually the line is going to be more blurred and blurred and people will get around to shows like they get around to movies. Although, I am old school and like to watch them the original air night. It is nice to know if I have something that actually requires me to leave the apartment, that I don't have worry about VCRs or be sad that I dont have a DVR. Because, the show is waiting for me the next day.

It doesn't matter to me since I really don't think anyone watches the shows I watch, so I have to go on IMDB and talk to strangers about the shows that I watch. While all the cool kids are talking about dinosaurs on Lost, or that mean doctor guy on House.

No comments: